Fly Tying
DHise

Waxy Step By Step

Hey ladies and gents. I finally put together a step by step for my waxworm imitation. My video camera is busted (which is probably a good thing 'cause Im horrible in front of the camera) so it is a series of stills. The music is called Carribean Voyage :)

Hise's Waxy is a deadly waxworm imitation, especially for trout and steelhead. Notice the legs on the critters underside? Pretty cool. I have heard conflicting reports about what a waxworm actually is but have come to the believe that it is the larvae of a certain moth, Pyralidae. In the wild, these creatures live as nest parasites in bee colonies where they eat the cocoons, pollen, shed skins of bees; but, they also chew through beeswax. Fish love 'em. Waxy is most effective when dead drifted under an indicator or high stick nymphed through the runs and pools.

Hise's Waxy Step By Step

Great SBS! Excellent looking fly too. I noticed the markers got flashed on the screen several times in between clear coats. Did that mean that you are tinting some of the layers of clear coat?

Nice job.

Kirk

thanks Kirk. Yep, paint and blend them after each coat has dried.

Sweet pattern & an Excellant video.......nothing makes me crazier than trying to watch tying videos with annoying music.....

ahhh, come on.... the music was great :j_k:

Hey ladies and gents. I finally put together a step by step for my waxworm imitation. My video camera is busted (which is probably a good thing 'cause Im horrible in front of the camera) so it is a series of stills. The music is called Carribean Voyage :)

Hise's Waxy is a deadly waxworm imitation, especially for trout and steelhead. Notice the legs on the critters underside? Pretty cool. I have heard conflicting reports about what a waxworm actually is but have come to the believe that it is the larvae of a certain moth, Pyralidae. In the wild, these creatures live as nest parasites in bee colonies where they eat the cocoons, pollen, shed skins of bees; but, they also chew through beeswax. Fish love 'em. Waxy is most effective when dead drifted under an indicator or high stick nymphed through the runs and pools.

Hise's Waxy Step By Step

You are correct, it is a Pyralid, Galleria mellonella, and are a pest of honeybee colonies. They eat pollen, honey, wax, even bee ova and larvae. They're very easy to rear for bait or for pet food, but they can be pretty destructive to bee colonies which are not in great shape. There has been quite a decline in honeybee numbers over the last decade or so.

how many trout or steelhead would ever get to see a waxworm in nature, that wasn't on a hook? I'm sure it can happen if wild honeybees made a hive over a stream.

Great fly dave and very nice job on the tutorial. I was just tralking to Kevin about how you do the legs. Very nice.

Hise's Waxy Step By Step

You are correct, it is a Pyralid, Galleria mellonella, and are a pest of honeybee colonies. They eat pollen, honey, wax, even bee ova and larvae. They're very easy to rear for bait or for pet food, but they can be pretty destructive to bee colonies which are not in great shape. There has been quite a decline in honeybee numbers over the last decade or so.

how many trout or steelhead would ever get to see a waxworm in nature, that wasn't on a hook? I'm sure it can happen if wild honeybees made a hive over a stream.

Fish probably dont see them in the wild but the winter steelheaders who are running centerpins and slinging live waxies sure beat the piss out of the fish. That is where the inspiration came from 'cause I only fish flies. That being said, it seems to be a decent representation of many of the grubs and larva found in or near the stream. Thanks everyone.

Nice to see you back on the site...or maybe I just have missed your posts,anyhow, great SBS! I think I actually like that photo way of doing it more than a video. Really clear and concise! Keep them comin'