Fly Tying
pttroe

Nor-vise mountingboard

Hi,

I've started fly tying 2years ago on a HMH silhouette. After having seen some rotary tying techniques, I decided to get a Nor-vise. Wich is on the way from the USA to Norway. :yahoo: Ive been looking to the you tube video's and can't wait to try it myself!! The nor-vise is for some strange reason not for sale in Norway, while the concept is brilliant! I'm very curious about the quality of the vise.

Anyway.... I'm wondering if anybody knows the measurements for the mountingboard, and what kind of material is smart to use. I was thinking about a kitchen cuttingboard which is heavy and smooth.

Is there a minimum and maximum distance between the vise and the bobbin-post? ( for a travel mounting board )

Any feedback wil be most welcome, so that I can prepare for when my equipment arrives.

Greetz from Norway,

PT

The distance between the two holes on the standard mounting board is about 14" or 35 cm. I made my own mounting table, and the distance between the post and the bobbin rest is just under 30 cm. The excact distance is not critical. I have two different travel bases that are about 25 cm between the holes. A cutting board will do nicely. You will need to counter sink the screw hole on the bottom of the board so that it will lay flat. I have had my Nor-vise a LONG time, and am happy with it. Its about the only vise I use any more. I have been happy with the quality.

My permanent mounting bench is about 70 cm long, and 26 cm deep. It is raised up about 8 cm from the table so I can fit my hook boxes under it. Tools are mounted on a raised rim all the way around.

post-12074-1283289471_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comment.

If you mean the row of boxes along the back of the table, they are backup tape boxes. Each one is 4" x 4" x 1" deep. They hold a dozen spools of thread floss, or tinsel and a lot of other things. They are transparent so I can see what is in them, the lables help me find the right box. All my BIG hooks are stored in them by size. There are 36 of them along the back of my desk.

I bought a pretty oak kitchen cutting board and made my Nor-Vise platform out of that. You can make them out of anything really as long as its flat and suits you.

Hi PT,

We hope you also invested in the automatic bobbin that Norm Norlander designed to work with the vise. That bobbin really helps the bobbin do it's job.

We have two of the vises; one with a regular base that came with the unit and the other one we made from a kitchen cutting board. Both work well. You also might find putting non-skid rubber matting on the bottom of the bases to keep them from slipping around while tying. The non-skid matting is a kitchen (or RV/caravan) product sold here in the US used to keep dishes (and other things) from slipping around. Good luck with the new vise. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

You also might find putting non-skid rubber matting on the bottom of the bases to keep them from slipping around while tying. The non-skid matting is a kitchen (or RV/caravan) product sold here in the US used to keep dishes (and other things) from slipping around.

Al is right; I forgot about that. If you don't have a slip-stop material beneath the vise base, it will slip around. I cut mine from some left-over carpet slip-stop material.

:P Hi y'all

Thanx for the input! I'm getting the vise and the bobbin-kit, so I should be allright. I've been trying some of the techniques on my HMH, hanging my'' normal'' bobbin from my lamp. But it's not the same.

should be about a week before I get my early christmas present in the mail. I swear I'm dreaming about it!!

My wife is not to happy about that, since we're expecting our 2nd daughter in november, and i should be dreaming about her instead. :P

Later, PT

PT,

What sort of flies are you tying? I'm curious what you are fishing for in central Norway just in case I ever make it back.

Tussen Tak

- Charlie

Here are some more ideas to think about when making a mounting board (I used a kitchen sink cutout and plastic cutting board).

I also customized my regular and portable board by adding dubbing holders.

iaflyfisher

post-18117-1283541500_thumb.jpg - old poker chip case

post-18117-1283541356_thumb.jpg - Stanley tool bag

post-18117-1283541365_thumb.jpg - 1 inch holes with plastic base of test strip bottle

post-18117-1283541370_thumb.jpg - dubbing pots installed

post-18117-1283541377_thumb.jpg - plastic cubbing board

I have the travel case/mounting board that I bought from Norm shortly after I got my Nor-Vise. The board measures 40.5x27 cm and is just a tad over 1 cm thick. The holes are 36 cm apart.

A couple years ago, our LARGE wood cutting board split in two. It's a good bit thicker that Norm's traveling board. I took the larger piece, which measures 56x26 cm, and made my permanent mounting board. I cleaned it, bleached it, dried it in the oven, painted it, and I love it. I put stick-on rubber feet on the bottom to eliminate slippage. My wife allows me to tie on the kitchen table with this setup, bot NOT with my Peak vise, pedestal or clamp-on . . .

Congrats on the new one - when's the stork arrive?

Cheers!

Bob Hendry

Southern Maryland

Since I'm a beginner tyer, I'll tie anything that looks nice and not to difficult. I tie flies to fish with, not to fotograph. But I mostly fish for trout,sea trout, and pike, so my flies vary from mayflies , caddis, nymphs, streamers, to bigger pike flies. I have no photo's yet but I'll try to make some.

I'm very happy to have found this forum, and to get so much ideas and input, thanx y'all.

btw: no sign yet from the mailman :wallbash:

Later,PT

PT,

What sort of flies are you tying? I'm curious what you are fishing for in central Norway just in case I ever make it back.

Tussen Tak

- Charlie

Hi,

Here's some of my try outs on my Nor-vise. I guess I'm gonna need some serious training!! On the other hand: my dubbing goes already much better.

My problem is I'm missing structure in my tying. I'm tying a bit of this and a bit of that not really following the recipe. ( I tie like I cook, although that normally works out a lot better :rolleyes: ) The same with my materials, and for that matter my fly box. It's my goal for this winter: get some structure and build up a proper fly box.

post-28343-1285417326_thumb.jpgpost-28343-1285417394_thumb.jpgpost-28343-1285417242_thumb.jpgpost-28343-1285417434_thumb.jpgpost-28343-1285417524_thumb.jpg

Take it from me, learn to get that structure in your tying. I have been tying without structure for far too many years. I like to tie a little of this and a little of that. Usually my desk is piled up with materials for two or three dozen different patterns. I clean it up occassionaly, and vow to start over and tie only one pattern and then put those materials away before moving on to another. That lasts about a day.

When your learning, it really does help to tie the same thing over and over until you have it just right. It's pretty difficult to perfect a pattern if you only tie one or two at a time.

My fly boxes are a mess too. Every year, I empty those I carry into bulk boxes, and re-organize them. By the end of the season, they are all mixed up again.

Take it from me, learn to get that structure in your tying. I have been tying without structure for far too many years. I like to tie a little of this and a little of that. Usually my desk is piled up with materials for two or three dozen different patterns. I clean it up occassionaly, and vow to start over and tie only one pattern and then put those materials away before moving on to another. That lasts about a day.

When your learning, it really does help to tie the same thing over and over until you have it just right. It's pretty difficult to perfect a pattern if you only tie one or two at a time.

My fly boxes are a mess too. Every year, I empty those I carry into bulk boxes, and re-organize them. By the end of the season, they are all mixed up again.

thx... I'll give it a shot. I must say, I've gotten a new boost from the nor-vise, and a long norwegian winter ahead of me. It 'll be tying and snowboarding, not too bad a combination :headbang:

later....