Fly Tying
lostsailor

Material barter?

Hey everyone,

I am new to fly fishing. Just picked it up since my father inlaw is taking me on a fishing trip in Idaho. I have to say, it is a blast! So of course I get hooked and am trying to build up my fly boxes.

I quickly realized that is not the cheapest thing in the world, but I am in no way ready to start tying. I am a hunter so I can get a lot of natural material from wood duck feathers to buck tails.

So my question, is there a barter market for materials? What kind of raw materials would you guys be willing to trade for a couple doxen flies, etc?

thanks,

lost

Lost,I'll take all the woodduck flank feathers you can get.I'd be willing to trade you dozen's of flies of your choice for them,depending on how many ducks you have.The feathers I need are from the drakes only.Lets barter! Val

I don't know of any one who wouldn't want to trade for some woodduck flank feathers. Barred flank feathers from almost any duck can be used. I would trade for woodduck, teal, gadwall, merganzer, and shoveller flanks. I know no self respecting duck hunter would shoot a merganzer, or shovel duck on purpose, but if you run a cross some, I would trade. Just PM when your ready.

We like to call them 'Smiling Mallards'. And they're pretty tasty in the early season - before they get to grubbing too much.

I know no self respecting duck hunter would shoot a merganzer,

There should be an open season, no limit on mergansers. I can't believe how many trout I saw them eating last weekend on the Allegheny River. Must have been 30-40 of them in the riffle I was watching, and they were CONTINUOUSLY catching and eating trout.

What if i will just buy it? How much maybe the price for a dozen?

Beware of both the Federal and possible State laws governing the sale or bartering of Federally protected birds; i.e., ducks and geese in this case. Wouldn't want to lose any of you from this site, as it is my underestanding that computer time is quite limited in the Federal pens!

perchjerker

It is my understanding it is OK to barter migratory game feathers legally obtained (i.e. hunting) for the use of fly tying.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2005/oct...50cfr20.100.pdf

I have wood ducks now. 2 capes and a bunch of flank feathers.

what about furbearers? squirrel tails/hides, groundhog hide, buck tails, etc?

PM me what you want and can offer, thanks.

Could always use a buck tale or a squirrels hide. I think I could come up with a couple dozen flies.

pheasant tails, feathers, and cape

wood duck a cape and a collar along wiht plucked flank feathers both barred and un-barred

groundhog for dubbing anyone?

RST/50 CFR 20 (as of 7/23/99) FOR PUBLIC RELEASE

Page 1 of 36

50 CFR 20

MIGRATORY BIRD HUNTING

SUBPART J -- FEATHERS OR SKINS

§ 20.91 Commercial use of feathers.

Any person may possess, purchase, sell, barter, or transport for the making of fishing flies, bed

pillows, and mattresses, and for similar commercial uses the feathers of migratory waterfowl

(ducks, geese, brant, and swans) killed by hunting pursuant to this part, or seized and condemned

by Federal or State game authorities, except that:

(a) No person shall purchase, sell, barter, or offer to purchase, sell, or barter for millinery or

ornamental use the feathers of migratory game birds taken under authority of this part; and

B) No person shall purchase, sell, barter, or offer to purchase, sell, or barter mounted specimens

of migratory game birds taken under authority of this part.

(Don't know why that smiley face pops up, it is supposed to be a b.)

Found this here:

http://www.fws.gov/le/pdffiles/50_CFR_20.pdf

Kirk

RST/50 CFR 20 (as of 7/23/99) FOR PUBLIC RELEASE

Page 1 of 36

50 CFR 20

MIGRATORY BIRD HUNTING

SUBPART J -- FEATHERS OR SKINS

§ 20.91 Commercial use of feathers.

Any person may possess, purchase, sell, barter, or transport for the making of fishing flies, bed

pillows, and mattresses, and for similar commercial uses the feathers of migratory waterfowl

(ducks, geese, brant, and swans) killed by hunting pursuant to this part, or seized and condemned

by Federal or State game authorities, except that:

(a) No person shall purchase, sell, barter, or offer to purchase, sell, or barter for millinery or

ornamental use the feathers of migratory game birds taken under authority of this part; and

B) No person shall purchase, sell, barter, or offer to purchase, sell, or barter mounted specimens

of migratory game birds taken under authority of this part.

(Don't know why that smiley face pops up, it is supposed to be a b.)

Found this here:

http://www.fws.gov/le/pdffiles/50_CFR_20.pdf

Kirk

kirk,

that is what i posted a link to above. OK to barter feathers for flies.

Sorry Lost, I missed that post. I saw the others and one had a concern. I figured you could barter but I was surprised to read that you can actually sell those materials not that you want to do that.

Kirk