Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly_fischa

Small stream Dries for Tasmania 18#-14#'s

SWAP IS FULL

Hi All,

I am hosting my first swap from Sydney, Australia for a fellow Aussie heading to Tasmania around Christmas. Li'lDave's request

6 tiers plus myself. First 4 that answer 'I'm in' complete the group. Due Date Nov 28th.

Each person ties 12 flies, either 2 patterns - 6 of each (preferable) or 12 of the same pattern. That way everyone ends up with a dozen flies each.

Dry flies and emergers only, size 18#-14#.

Standard swap rules apply please toe tag your flies and include a self addressed return post pack/satchel.

International swappers welcome please send me a PM about postage, we'll come to an arrangement, either extra flies or some US postage stamps.

WHAT DO TASSIE TROUT EAT? Similar flies & patterns that work in trout streams around the world. We use lots of American, European and British patterns to great effect with a few of our own.

Mayflies, Caddisflies, Beetles and other terrestrials like grasshoppers and ants are on the menu.

Some well known patterns that have worked for me include;

Adams, Wulff's, Elk Hair Caddis, Goddard's Caddis, Klinkhammer, Quigley Cripple, Stimulator, Compara Dun, Spinners (Black & Red), Traditional quill winged dries, Humpy's and the list goes on. If you've got questions send me a PM.

I'll kickstart the swap

SM fly_fischa - Ubiquitous Red Tag 17# and a Shaving Brush 14# - Finished

1. Li'lDave - 16# Black Spinner & Geehi Beetle Received

2. fishingbobnelson - 14# Bivisible & 14# Royal Trude Received

3. rockworm - Grizzly Riffle & Parachute Dun Received

4. JohnP - Griffith's Gnat & Cross Dresser Received

5. atroutbum2 - Royal Coachman dry #18 Received

6. Student4evr - Comparadactle Received

:yahoo:

I'm in Mate!!

I'll do a 16# black spinner and something like a #16 or 14# Geehi Beetle.

I'll be using Tiemco Dry Fly hooks if that is OK.

I'll try to throw a few more in too.

Thanks Fly-Fischa... lets get tying :bugeyes:

I'm in. I'll probably do a dark elk hair caddis and tbd.

Welcome aboard Rockworm and JohnP glad to have you join. Should be a fun swap.

Dave - I nearly decided to tie a Geehi Beetle myself, one of my favourite searching patterns. Tiemco's are fine mate, no special iron requirements.

Welcome aboard Rockworm and JohnP glad to have you join. Should be a fun swap.

Dave - I nearly decided to tie a Geehi Beetle myself, one of my favourite searching patterns. Tiemco's are fine mate, no special iron requirements.

:rolleyes: Thanks mate. Will have a look... I've never actually tied one so it should be fun :blink:

It looks like you need the last spot.

So I'm in mate. I like the company you keep. We have one we call the Comparadactle. It really works on some great streams here. What bugs are you looking at?

Frank aka Student4evr

Hi Frank and welcome buddy, lucky last ;)

As to your question the last paragraph, post 1 'What do Tassie trout Eat' should help.

The Comparadactle sounds like an interesting fly, anything you use on your small streams is bound to work on Tassie trout. :D

Once you decide on a pattern please let me know?

Cheers

Karsten

Karsten, Thanks for offering to Host this one. :headbang:

Everyone else... Thank you for making me welcome, I hope I don't let you down :unsure:

Cool Frank, comparadactle locked in! I look forward to seeing them first hand and tempting a trout with one :thumbsup:

Dave - No probs buddy glad to host. On the letting people down front, don't be silly, it's all about enjoying yourself and having a go. I am sure I speak for everyone by saying you are more than welcome, have some fun and relax. It's not a comp. just a great place to learn and make new friends.

Just a quick one...

Here's an e.g. of one of my orange spinners... Will be using hackle fibres instead of the biots in this one and the fly will be black....

OrangeSpinner.jpg

Once I get the hang of it I think the geehi beetle should be pretty cool too.

I'll do the Geehi Beetle in a #14 if that's OK