Fly Tying
flyfishing99

What Bobbin You Use - Ever use this type??

I use the Dorian along with several Matarelli. I have a Rite but I use it very seldom.

Narc,

How has your experience with the Dorian been?

It has been my favorite for over 20 years and I've tried most others

What has been your experience concerning "it being a thread shredder"? I haven't found that to be true. One guy who apparently hasn't even used one claims that!!

My fly tying teacher had them 2 years ago, and he loved them... But i never bothered to get one. I just love my Tiemco Heavy Duty Ceramic Bobbin.

I got a stonfo bobinatore elite bobbin. Used if for the first time today!! Love. Had some old school bobbins that had what looked like marbels on the ends

Just got the Norvise automatic bobbin and have used it a few times. I think it works really well, don't have to roll up the bobbin to shorten the thread anymore. This always bugged me. Also got a rotary vise, and the automatic bobbin seems to work really well with it. Anyone else have comments on the automatic bobbins?

I use the Dorian along with several Matarelli. I have a Rite but I use it very seldom.

Narc,

How has your experience with the Dorian been?

It has been my favorite for over 20 years and I've tried most others

What has been your experience concerning "it being a thread shredder"? I haven't found that to be true. One guy who apparently hasn't even used one claims that!!

I like my old Dorin very well and I have purchased a "Wishbone" and it works just as well. It has never shredded any thread including some silk.

I use the C&F ceramic bobbins or the "Ekich Ultimate Bobbin" with my rotary vise. The C&F bobbins are perfect manual bobbins - very well balanced.

When I use the rotary vise in a "rotary fashion" the Ekich has some advantages and helps a lot. Also I do like the weight of the Ekich and you can use it with standard spools - no need to rewind the thread like you have to with the Norvise.

I tried the Marc Petitjean bobbin two month ago - there is a lot of hipe around it here in Germany - I didn't like it at all. It doesn't turn very well and the thread can be hurt.

I use Dr. slick I have four of them. And I also have four others that I have no idea of who made those.

All of them have the ceramic inserts.

From time to time I've been tempted to try the expensive ones but have never pulled the trigger.

Edit: Dang it, this post was supposed to be in the other bobbin thread, took a link from there to here forgot where I was and posted here by accident. smile.png

For some time I used the Rite mini bobbin. There were excellent, but had one major design flaw. They didn't spin well. Over the last 20 ears I have found myself spinning the bobbin more and more, so I rejected them and went back to the TMC ones. However, they have that stupid bit of rubber tube. reat when new but as the bobbin gets used it works loose and becomes a proper pain in the proverbial. Some time ago I removed all the tubing and used hot melt glue to make a bullet around the joint.

The Dorin bobbin is one I have seen and shied away from. The reason is my bad experience with metal tubed bobbins. I prefer ceramic, and didn't want to take the risk of buying another metal tube. The design though does intrigue me.

Cheers,

C.

I must be an oddball, but I've never really had a favorite bobbin. I've always used whatever I had lying around and doubt I ever paid more than $5 for one with most of them being given to me when I started tying or in kits I acquired. Later, I bought the Norvise and automatic bobbin and that is what I use 99% or the time now, but other than the thread retracting automatically I see no real difference. I tied with the Rite and Ekich bobbin at the tying show in Somerset last month and saw nothing that made me think I was missing out. I also got to try Jay Smit's bobbin, and found it interesting but weird (His designs don't work for me, but I did buy a pair of his very nice hackle pliers). I've never had a bobbin cut thread that I can recall, or give me issues with thread tension etc. that couldn't be fixed so easily that I didn't even think about it. They all just seem to do their job. I have to wonder if the differences are really significant (and I'm just too dumb to see them) or if there isn't a lot of "brand loyalty" going on.

Having said all that, I guess I better go get one of those Dorin bobbins to see if that does the trick.

Mike.