Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
krally

Carp?

Hey guys, I have a smaller Pond by my house that has some very large carp in it. I always see them cruising just below the surface. I have tried a few things, but no luck. Anyone have some ideas on what patterns to try?

Sorry, I know we are not supposed to talk tactics on this page, but the talk fly fishing forum seems to be a lot less active than this one. Just looking for some quick advise.

It sounds like these are grass carp more than likely.

Tie some green deer hair to a fly and after you mow around the pond throw it in and see if that works.

Also, throw bread crumbs out there for a few days then tie a fly that looks like a bread crumb (foam). This can work too.

Carp....? craws, craws, craws, craws,craws, craws and um craws.... thats my suggestion. Have a wide selection of rusty, olive and brown in size 10 and 8. Drag it on the bottom real slow (sinking line!) If you see fish cruising they are alot less likely to bite. But a fish with its nose to the ground awe yea! just do not spook it with your line and its on!!!

I second Day5.......leeches as well....If you bought the new addition of Hatches there is an article by Alex C. about carp on the fly....What to use..etc...Good luck...They are addicting to catch...

Ok I will let you in on my top secret secret carp fly...but dont tell anyone! The secret is the color, I caught a LOT of carp this year on it. I will try and post a pic today.

Hook: 2x long nymph hook (usually I use a 6 or 8)

Tail:Rabbit fur (or marabou)- Purple

Body: Semi Seal- Purple

Legs: Purple metallic flake silicone

Eyes: beadchain preferably brightly colored ones chartreuse or orange

Head: cover the bead chain with some semi seal

Honestly, I really dont think it matters what you use...If it looks like food and you get it to the carp without spooking him, he will try to eat it. I am warning you though carp fishing is additive.

Use Crawfish patterns even in the pond? Just a muddy, little pond, but I've seen some giants swimming around!

Use Crawfish patterns even in the pond? Just a muddy, little pond, but I've seen some giants swimming around!

You think they got that big just eating bugs?