Fly Tying
Rob Adams

Getting started, first up, a work space

Well, I tried tying on a TV tray - didn't work too well, so I did some research on Saturday and settled on a knock off of the design I found here ---> http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/tying....php#5_material

(thank you Jan)

Built using 1" project board, and clear pine 1x5 and 2x2. Took a couple of hours - will rub some minwax on it and call it done. I plan on tying flies and jigs while on my winter vacation in Chicago. My workplace is ready to go!

I also build some fly drying clips using alligator clips and plastic rod I had laying around from one of my kids school projects.

Pics for those of you that are interested.

post-29665-1290990931_thumb.jpg

detail showing drying clips.

post-29665-1290990966_thumb.jpg

Rob Adams

Davie, FL

Looks nice! I couldn't find one I liked either, so I built my own.

DSC_0006.jpg

Very nice.... I'm already working on the next one....a 'laptop' version...

Wife donated a cutting board to the cause tonight...

You guys are inspiring me!!!

I tied just a tiny bit about 10 yrs ago but really want to get into it now.

I picked up a used desk for the purpose & was just going to screw a piece of plywood on top for a work surface. Now I think I'll build a couple of portable tables (one for me & one for my 7yr old son I hope to get started in tying) based on your designs to use on the desk in the basement or on the kitchen table. Thanks!

Round 2. This time a bit smaller (inspired by jvise). Made it from an old cutting board. Drilled in a place for the new danvise. Also has rare earth magnets to hold things for drying. Fun, relaxing build this evening. (can't beat the price of the materials - talked the wife out of an old, cracked cutting board.... ;) )

post-29665-1291422753_thumb.jpg

Rob

Davie, FL

I couldnt settle with just a space...I had to have a building.

Img_1930.jpg

Img_2058.jpg

Img_1926.jpg

Img_2051.jpg

Img_2056.jpg

I did make my own tying station out of Oak a lot like the others pictured here and purchased the Serving table to use as a tying bench.

My own little man cave...the other half of the shed is my work shop/tool shed/lawn equipment shed.

The tying room half comes complete with Insulation and paneling, AC and Heat.

I couldnt settle with just a space...I had to have a building.

I did make my own tying station out of Oak a lot like the others pictured here and purchased the Serving table to use as a tying bench.

My own little man cave...the other half of the shed is my work shop/tool shed/lawn equipment shed.

The tying room half comes complete with Insulation and paneling, AC and Heat.

Wow....

Awe inspiring... all of you look like master craftsmen compared to my work on the desk I slapped together! A 2x4 with finishing nails and a few drilled out holes serves as a thread & tool caddy. Unfortunately it's all in my very unheated shed and it's damm uncomfortable out there this time of year. Was looking at a little "pedestal partner" bench from Oasis as a way to get a little work area that I can use indoors (not a lot of space in my house).

Thanks guys for the inspiration. I have been working on ideas for a tying station that is portable as I don't currently have a full-time heated area where I can setup and leave everything. Plus nice to take something with me on weekends when we go to our cabin. Will try and post some pics when I get something put together.