Fly Tying
Possumpoint

Tying Threads

Threads sold for fly tying have a number printed on the side of the bobbin. 70, 140, 210 etc. This means what? In addition, I've seen threads split for dubbing. Can this be done to all threads or just some? Are the ones that can be split labeled in some way?

Some, but not all, of the threads sold for tying flies are marked 70, 140, 210 etc. others are marked

8/0, 6/0, 3/0 etc. The 70, 140, and 210 threads denote a ranking called denier. Denier is a weight per

unit length measure of a continuous filament or yarn, used in textiles. The lower the denier number, the

finer the material and vice versa. In the 8/0, 6/0, and 3/0 threads the higher the number before the "/"

is then the finer thread. The lower the number before the "/" the thicker the thread.

Not all threads are designed to be split for dubbing. I don't have any designed to be split so I can't don't

know the answer for that part of your questions.

Stippled Popper and flytire thank you for your replies. That's a lot of information to absorb at one time. I was buying thread on color basis only till I noticed the numerical distinction this weekend. Now I need to look a little closer to what exactly I have.

To the best of my knowledge, those threads that can be readily split do not have anything on the label to indicate that they can be split. However, by definition, one would expect the "flat" threads to lend themselves to being split. This assumption is based on the fact that the "flat" threads have no twist in them, and the fibers run the length of the thread parallel to one another; just the type thread that should 'split' very easily. The 'round' threads have a twist in them, and would not be expected to lend themselves to splitting.

FWIW, the flat threads usually can be readily distinguished from the 'round' threads while you are tying. If you will release your bobbin and let it spin, it will ultimately come to static rest. If you look at the thread very carefully at this time right at the hook shank on the underneath side, you should be able to readily see if it is flat or round. You thus have an answer to the question of whether or not it is flat.

perchjerker

As to which threads can be split, my experience is that there are two kinds of thread that are used the majority of the time, especially until you get into much more specific applications - Uni Thread and Danville Flymaster. Uni is a twisted and bonded thread that you will not be able to split for dubbing. Danville Flymaster, on the other hand, is a non-bonded thread - even if it is twisted when you start, you will be able to untwist and separate the fibers for dubbing.

The other type of thread you often see is "flat waxed nylon". It is a non-bonded thread that can be twisted or untwisted depending on your needs. While I don't think I've seen this with a deneir or X/0 rating, be aware it is a relatively heavy thread to use.

There's my two cents.

Deeky