Fly Tying
MowestFlyfisher

Anyone Use Foam Patterns

I primarily tie stuff like Gurglers & Crease flies with foam, but I also like to play with Triple Deckers, Chernobyls & Club Sandwich type flies. Except I tie them for bass so I super size them on a 1/0 or 2/0 hook! :rolleyes:

Cool Beetle. That idea of using the broom bristles is outstanding! That is the kind of stuff I really appreciate.

I have made a few spiders and dragonflies. The Bluegill love em.

try finding "tying foam flies" by Skip Morris. I just picked up that book and it is a great book!

Mr. Vegas recommends a good book. I would also tell you to check out Tying with Fur, Foam and Feathers. I use foam to tie a wide range of stuff. What you tie depends on what you are going after. I mainly warmwater fly fish so I tie bees, steriod ants, and gurglers to name a few. Check out Hatches magazine and look up the video on the steroid ant. The panifsh loved it this past Summer when I tied it.

anything from skip morris is good. I am a guitar player and all his books has guitars in them :)

Mr. Vegas recommends a good book. I would also tell you to check out Tying with Fur, Foam and Feathers. I use foam to tie a wide range of stuff. What you tie depends on what you are going after. I mainly warmwater fly fish so I tie bees, steriod ants, and gurglers to name a few. Check out Hatches magazine and look up the video on the steroid ant. The panifsh loved it this past Summer when I tied it.

I am the same way not much for trout fishing around here and fly fishing has always been something i wanted to try so i started fly fishing for warm water and its what i focus on and ill will check out the steroid ant

Same here the bluegill, and some bass tore apart the steroid ant.

On my best gill spots , use foam or why even bother???

If you go to browse patterns by materials and click on foam there is a ton of patterns to get you started!