Fly Tying
MowestFlyfisher

Morris foam diver foam size

Hey every one i found a fly that i want to tie but cannot find anything on the foam size as in the dimensions that the foam is cut in. The fly in question is the Morris foam diver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

check out this... It might be it

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/foamdiver/

Thats it i was just wondering what size the foam piece is i tried tying a few but i think i am cutting it too big or something just was wondering if anyone had actual measurements for it

my suggestion is cut the foam in conjunction to the size of the hook. Put you hook in the vise and cut it exactly as shown in the picture and cut it length wise. Watch where on the hook it shows to cut I hope this helps??

morrisinstructions1.jpg

my suggestion is cut the foam in conjunction to the size of the hook. Put you hook in the vise and cut it exactly as shown in the picture and cut it length wise. Watch where on the hook it shows to cut I hope this helps??

morrisinstructions1.jpg

ill give it a try again just thought i could get a little more help but thanks anyways ill give it a try and see how it goes

There are no exact dimensions, as its not an exact science. Each piece of foam will be different for different sized hooks. Take the template posted above and do your best approximation. If its too big, unwrap it and cut a little more off.

There are no exact dimensions, as its not an exact science. Each piece of foam will be different for different sized hooks. Take the template posted above and do your best approximation. If its too big, unwrap it and cut a little more off.

LOL yeah i hear that alot "its not an exact science" but yeah ill just have to keep cuttin away at it to see what i can do ill get it eventually just trying to see if anyone has made these before and had a template for them or something

do a search on the "Stealth Bomber" foam diver fly. On the designer's website, he used to have a template you could print out for various size hooks. I looks to be similar to what you're doing. I know I've caught quite a lot of fish on them.

do a search on the "Stealth Bomber" foam diver fly. On the designer's website, he used to have a template you could print out for various size hooks. I looks to be similar to what you're doing. I know I've caught quite a lot of fish on them.

Thanks man for that ill try this pattern out and it does the same thing as the morris foam diver and it seems a whole lot simpler

oh and i got to say i love me some John Denver

you can start with this template and with some modifications, you'll come up with a template that will work for the morris foam diver

part of fly tying is experimenting with ideas until you get it right or close enough

foam sheets are cheap enough from walmart or your big box craft store

http://www.flyfishga.com/images/stealth_pattern.jpg

Thanks man for that ill try this pattern out and it does the same thing as the morris foam diver and it seems a whole lot simpler

oh and i got to say i love me some John Denver

Who doesn't lol

here is a scan from the book "tying foam flies" by skip morris

divertemplate.jpg

take note that in the template, the body area is as long as the hook shank and the "wings" on each side can be any length at all. the "wings" get trimmed to size after the fly is tied.

no matter what hook style or size is used the template is always the same

here is a scan from the book "tying foam flies" by skip morris

divertemplate.jpg

take note that in the template, the body area is as long as the hook shank and the "wings" on each side can be any length at all. the "wings" get trimmed to size after the fly is tied.

no matter what hook style or size is used the template is always the same

thanks flytire that is an awesome pattern to follow ill have to add it to my collection