Fly Tying
fish-n-golfer

Best Bass Fly Book

trying to see what some good books on tying bass flies are, i have no idea how some of u guys are doing all these poppers and spiders and all this other crazy fancy looking $&(# on here, but would like to know if you guys can help me on the path to having my flies showing up on here one day soon

Honestly there are some decent books out there but a lot of the techniques you see here are as of yet not in a book anywhere. your best bet is to just ask questions, look around at old posts, if you find someone that ties and awesome fly (like stippled popper) search that particular name and find the posts they have made and look through them for any of the information they have posted as of yet. If you can't find it just ask, we're pretty friendly for the most part around here. Also look at the pattern database, many of the patterns have very detailed instructions on how they are tied, if they don't post up a link and ask one of may be the original tier or know at least how it is tied. Also make plenty of bookmarks in the database, it helps when you can go back and look at the finished fly to see what you may have &*%$#ed up on. Besides we can give you close to real time help with nearly any problem, a book can only help you with the topic discussed and the way in which it is discussed.

Steve

The best book on the subject in my opinion would be Tom Nixon Fly tying and Fly fishing for bass and panfish 1999 edition. It is available on ebay new for $40.00 or if you can find a copy used. Nixon's book is what taught me how to fly tie. :yahoo:

Being broke (and naturally cheap anyway), I'll throw Youtube into the mix. Search the type of fly you want to tie, or deerhair, spinning hair, etc., and you will get some good instruction. You may have to sift through the videos a little, but I think seeing a lot of it in motion is better than pictures in a book that just show the results of each step rather than the process, relative to what you get with video.

There are some other sites out there with good videos as well (like Ohio Fly Fishers????) that are worth finding, but Youtube carries the vast majority of videos on the web.

Deeky

I got my copy a couple years ago for $10. It is a good book but I learned a lot from guys I met in the New Orleans Fly Fishers. While there were books when I began, the only one I remember reading was from Herter's. The info on the net is invaluable but if there is a fly fishing club in your area, you should join that, they usually have tie in meetings apart from the regular meetings. I think you can go to FFF to find local clubs. Not sure how else you might find one.

Kirk

KED_7571-1.jpg

Guest rich mc

try flyfishohio.com for patterns and step by step . joe cornwall is speaking at the Bronzeback Blowout in Elmhurst Il this saturday .info is available on www.illinoissmallmouthalliance.com rich mc

Besides the Tom Nixon book Kirk mentioned I have:

The Art of Tying the BASS FLY by Skip Morris,

Flies for Bass & Panfish by Dick Stewart & Farrow Allen, and

Hot Bass Flies Patterns & Tactics from the Experts by Deke Meyer

I went to purchase my daughter a copy of Skip Morris The art of tying the bass fly and the cheapest copy I can find on amazon is $870.00 and the cheapest copy on ebay is $1200.00 can anybody tell me why the book is so expensive and is there anywhere I can purhcase a copy for under a $100.00? :bugeyes:

I have these two as well, excellent books.

I went to purchase my daughter a copy of Skip Morris The art of tying the bass fly and the cheapest copy I can find on amazon is $870.00 and the cheapest copy on ebay is $1200.00 can anybody tell me why the book is so expensive and is there anywhere I can purhcase a copy for under a $100.00? :bugeyes:

I can't fathom why it's so expensive, but from a practical standpoint, I personally wouldn't pay any more than original retail, which if I recall, was either $19.99 or $24.99. I perused it quite a few times when it was still available at the local Barnes and when I consider all the information currently available from other sources, it just doesn't make any sense to pay more. But that's just me.

Another book to consider is "Bass Bug Fishing" by William Tapply, son of H. G. Tapply who came up with the famous Tap's Bug deer hair popper. This book provides an excellent introduction to tying and fishing deer hair bass bugs.

A couple of out-of-print books to watch out for are "Black Bass & the Fly Rod" by Charles Waterman and "Tying Bugs and Flies for Bass" by A. D. Livingston. One of the nice things about these books, including Tapply's book, by the way, is they also introduce you to some of the pretty cool classic bass patterns from the early part of the 20th century.

If you're into smallmouths, I would also look carefully at "Smallmouth Fly Fishing" by Tom Holschag and "Fly Fishing for Smallmouth Bass" by Harry Murray. The latter book, in particular, got me into tying strymphs, which I've had very good success with.

If you're into bluegills, Terry & Roxanne Wilson's "Bluegill Fly Fishing & Flies" provides a pretty good primer on the subject.

Flies for Bass & Panfish by Dick Stewart & Farrow Allen, and

What would you consider the best book for a new guy starting out.

The original George Herter book has some great ideas to expand on. It is funny how many of the new revolutionary designs are from old books tied with synthetic materials.

I like the Stewart and Allen book too.

Thanks for all of the help hairstacker. I told her I would teach her how to tie but she the type that is independent and wants to do everything on her own.I have given her all of the books I had and thought maybe the Skip Morris book might be a little more up to date but the price on that book is amazing must be a great book but at that price I will never know. :yahoo: