Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigfoot

Material Bobbin????

I have a quick question about a material bobbin. Is a material bobbin a salt water bobbin? I am tying a pattern that calls for the material to be applied with a material bobbin and it floored me. I have never heard of a material bobbin so I gave it some thought and figured it must be a really big bobbin like a salt water bobbin. Any help would would be great. Thanks

Everything that I Looked at on the various retail sites list a regular bobbin as a material bobbin. I didn't see anything stating otherwise

Material bobbins are used to apply "soft" spooled materials like floss, wool, antron yarns. Not all that much different than any other bobbin. They usually (but not always) have flaired ends. They are in most cases a regular size, and have metal tubes. I have them also in both midge and jumbo or saltwater sizes. They were also used as thread bobbins, but most people use ceramic incert bobbins for thread these days.

Yeah i use my old stainless bobbins as a material bobbin. Like utyer stated there are various materials that can be applied from a bobbin. Most of the time i use one for applying lead wire or ultra wire when im making a wire body. Also make sure you save your empty spools of thread. If you are going to be using alot of cheniele or yarn that comes on a card you can put it on a spool and use a bobbin to hold it. Makes for more controled wraps and less waste of materials. Its just a pain transfering it from the card to a spool but worth it in my opinion.

i'll bet you can apply the material in the recipe without using a bobbin holder. i wouldnt worry about it. it wont make a better fly.

i'll bet you can apply the material in the recipe without using a bobbin holder. i wouldnt worry about it. it wont make a better fly.

I agree you dont "need" to apply materials with a bobbin and they dont always make a better fly but it can make applying the material easier under some circumstances.

Full wire or stretch tubing bodies. Also some forms of weaving can be easier when the materials are applied through a bobbin. Add that to the very little material waste you get when using a material bobbin i think its something to consider even though you dont have to use it. Like so many other aspects of fly tying it boils down to personal preference.

Thanks for all of the help on the material bobbin. I agree I could apply the material without the bobbin but from reading all of the great ideals that can be done with a material bobbin I believe I will get one. I found one thru feater craft. BF

The material bobbins that I am familiar with typically have a slightly larger diameter tube than a standard thread bobbin. Also, if it is for floss, it is much smaller than a standard thread bobbin, and takes the small metal sewing machine bobbins, as opposed to thread spools. I do not know of a bobbin made specifically for tying saltwater flies.

perchjerker

griffin, renzetti, wasatch each list a "saltwater" bobbin holder but i cant see any difference in a "freshwater" vs "saltwater". maybe a longer reach tube.

ive always tied salwater flies with a tiemco ceramic bobbin holder