Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mickalo

Sink Tip Lines

I been thinking of trying out a sink tip line this year for streamers on my 5wt. Any recommendations for small ponds and streams. I'm think a fairly slow sink rate would probably be the best.

Thanks,

Mike

I bought a new sink tip for my 7wt last year and got the Cortland series 4 its probably to fast sink for what you want but its a great line smooth casting shoots well and it allows me to fish streamers that are unweighted down deep where I want to fish I would recomend it in like a series 2 or 3 for what you want

Being I'm new to fly fishing you can take this with a grain of salt, or not, but I've got a 30 ft. sink tip for fishing Pyramid Lake, NV and it seems to me that an integrated line would work much better than just adding a sink tip or shooting head to the end of running line. The integrated line I'm sure doesn't hinge at the connection, which is my biggest problem. Integrated line costs more but I'm sure worth every penny.

firedad, that's what I was planning on getting is the full line. I figured that would be a better setup too.

riffleriversteelheadslayer I was looking at the Cortlands & Rio's yesterday. I've used the Cortland WF lines in the past, a great line and priced well.

Thanks for all the feedback,

Mike

The only sink tip I used before was Cortland 333 sink tip. It presented and casted well. Also, it had a decent price as well.

I used to be really keen on the Rio sink tip, i think its 9ft of clear intermediate on a nice even WF taper. But something has happened, Rio seems to have changed the recipe for it and now it comes just like an outbound taper (aggressive) which i really do not like at all, very thin running line thats very hard to hold and double haul with. All the weight is at the head in the 1st 30 feet, may be good for shooting quick mid distance casts, but if you are going to be doing some long casting i think its aweful.

So i guess i am in the market now too. Might change over to a different brand as Rio has gone crazy. Boo Rio.

I couldn't imagine using a sink tip on a 5 wt rod, but that's just me. I prefer to fish a full sink line versus the sink tip. There is more direct contact with the fly versus having part of you line floating than an angle at the start of the sink tip. Just my observations from fishing both types. I would consider??? a 200 grain full sink line if it was up to me. The only way to find out what you prefer is to fish them (or at least cast them) and see what feels right with your setup.

Good to know BigBrownTrout. I never used a full sink line or sink tip yet but wanted to try it out this season with some streamers. All my outfits use the std., WF lines. Usually my streamers are weighted so never really needed these other types of lines but figured it would be nice to try them out.

FlyFishin'Jam the Cortland's seem like a good line to try out. Never been keen on Rio myself.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it gang.

Mike

Reason i have used sink tips and not full sinking is line management, when wading it can be difficult with your running line sunken around your feet, difficult to shoot. I just find if its all floating (running section) its a lot easier. Same with the salt, on the flats i use sink tips if wading, and full sinking if from a boat.

In fresh one sink tip i do rely on is the 24ft DC - swinging streamers in fast rivers = nice salmon on 5wt's. Here is a little one.

post-29540-1303234009_thumb.jpg