Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheYiman

Smallmouth Swap

I got my first two done today while taking breaks from studying for finals. I'm doing a variation on a crawdad fly I came up with last year. In the first version the claws were the weak spot, so for this one I'm using two clumps of bushy bucktail. I like how they look. I've been doing a lot of reading about Smallmouth recently and there is a study that shows them having a preference towards crawfish with small claws, makes sense, so I tried to make these a good size, not too big.

I hear ya with being busy studying... I'm done after this week so I should be able to get more time tying instead of homework and school... What ya majoring in?

I am a nursing student. I can't wait to finish and get to work. 3 to 4 day work weeks = More time on the water!

yeah,i hear ya... spring semester starts in 2 weeks for me... 1 class, 3 nights a week, 3.5 hours each night... can you say fun?

I am a nursing student. I can't wait to finish and get to work. 3 to 4 day work weeks = More time on the water!

Be carefull what you ask for.....I work that 3-4 days a week and have a week off every month....that works out to 2 48 hour weeks and one 72 hour week....more hours than a straight 40 hour week....half the weekends of the past 20 years at work...

but then again.....lots of times you get the water to yourself mid week....

hope to get back to the bench next week....

Darrin

I like seeing teasers from tyers when they get done, so I figured I post mine. I'm finishing up the Crawfish today. I'm calling Crawdaddy 3.0 since this is my third version of this fly and I am finally happy with all the parts.

Here ya go, what do you think?

IMG_2506.jpg

looks good. I'm still working on my foam frog...one or two more tries and I think I will have it figured out

Both are looking good....cant wait to see this collection when its done.

Timing belt in Mamas car is top priority today, 1/2 way done...aleast until a friend gets here then it off to test my new fly rod....

Darrin

....cant wait to see this collection when its done.

Me too. I think this swap will represent a good variety of smallmouth flies. The Bronzebacks are such a fun species to pursue!

eastern fly - that streamer looks great. Nice baitfish pattern.

We had one streamer tyer drop out. Not too late to fill the spot, does anyone want to sign up for this place? Just let me know.

rich mc's ISA bugs showed up today! Sweet batch of big SM nymphs!

I will fill in with a Shenks Minnow variation.

Yinman- I'm sorry but I feel I must withdraw from this swap. Family issues have just come up and I feel that those are more important than sitting at the fly bench at this point in time. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.