Fly Tying

I was looking at superglue today as I would like a glue that sets up quick. on the gel type it said it was not conducive to foam. I have seen loctite etc-any particular one better than others.

marc

I concur on the loctite Ultra gel

Very user friendly...sets quick and no trouble with the tip crusting up.

Once you use it, you will not go back to zap a gap or any other brand.

I use enough super glue as a commercial tyer that I'm buying and using quite a bit of it (my favorite is still the original Krazy Glue in the small, hard squeeze tube). Here's a tip for how to keep the tip clean and readied for the next dozen flies. I've learned to save small squares of craft fur after the hair has been used (the part I'm using is the cloth base of craft fur with a closely trimmed side remaining after the "fur" has been used up). These small 2x2" squares are used as glue cleaning pads just for super glue. You can wipe the tip clean or actually remove any hardened residue from the tip over and over again with just one of the pads. Once the glue hardens up on the pad it's a simple matter to scrape it away, like old icing from a pastry. Hope this helps.

I also like the Ultra Gel for when I need a stiffer glue. For thin super glue I've been buying Pro's Soft Bait Glue, which comes in a 1/2 oz bottle. Initial cost is high at about $10 for a bottle, but it lasts for up to a year, and it's great on most plastics, plus it is a waterproof formula. But, I also use it on plastic baits, so it does double duty. They come with a couple of fine tips that can be removed & cleaned, making placing a drop where you need it easier. Less on my fingers! I figure with all the small squeeze tubes I've thrown away that had hardened 1/2 full, the Pro's pays for itself.

I bought 2 bottles last time I purchased and put one in the refrigerator, which prolongs it's shelf life.

Capt Bob, that's a great tip! Thanks!

I use Loctite Super Glue Gel in the small tube format to seal hooks in hard and soft foam poppers. Finding the more fluid

Super Glue had become very difficult. Having tried it, I find the Gel works better. I lay a line of it in the hook slot, use a small

needle to fold it all into the slot, set the hook, and apply and smooth out another line of the Super Glue Gel in the slot. There

usually isn't much of a void left to completely fill the slot.

I keep the tube of unused Gel in a sealed plastic container in the refrigerator. Before refrigerating the Super Glue I'd often

lose half the tube's contents.

The secret to keeping cyanoacrylate (super) glues from setting up is to store them in a closed container with some sort of dessicant inside. It is moisture (humidity) that initiates the reaction that leads to setup. As the 'relative humidity' inside a refrigerator is typically quite low is why these glues do not set up when stored there. A small butter dish with a lid and a packet or two of the dessicant pillows that come with many medications, and other products, placed under the cover, and the rim of the cover coated with a thin layer of vaseline, will make an inexpensive and effective 'dessicator jar'.

aged_sage