Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytyer166

fishing guide

hello,

i was just wondering if anyone could direct me towards some information on what licenses you have to have to become a guide. and also how do you get them, and how old do you have to be. and how to get your guiding service insured.

Thanks

MG

Matt, I can point you in the right direction if you'll answer a few basic items... Where, what state, are you thinking of guiding. Are you thinking of working on foot or out of a boat? A few details will help direct the answers.

If you're working out of a boat the first item is a captain's license from the Coast Guard. They don't care if you ever catch one fish but they do care about taking passengers aboard for money.... A captain's license requires a certain amount of time on the water in the area you're going to be working in as a pre-requisite. Then it's a course of study, an exam, a drug test, a medical (not much different than the things you'd have to do to get a pilot's license...). Most find attending a school to help prepare for the exam helpful. The one I went to all those years ago was Sea School. You should be able to find the nearest one to you on Google or other search engine. The school will not only prepare you to sit the exam, many of them are actually allowed to give the exam by the CG... They'll also walk you through all the paperwork needed (and answer every question as an applicant goes through the process).

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

My brother is now a guide in alaska. He took the boating course and all that and then he filled out an application with stuff like where he was fishing and in a boat or on land. Then after around a month (not really sure) they sent him the license. I think you might be able to do the boating thing online now but I am not sure.

Depending on where your guiding the licence may be less of an issue compared to a permit to guide from the forest service,BLM etc. Many of those organizations restrict the number of permits which are often already held by fly shops etc from my limited knowledge.

id be doing it in michigAn in like the manistee river or au sable river or clam river in a small canoe or traditional au sable wood boat. fly fishing of course.

First the good news, you won't be needing a captain's license if you stay with paddle craft.... Now for the other stuff. Here in Florida there actually isn't any form of "guide license" the way some states up north require. Any licensed captain does have the opportunity here to purchase a fishing license that does cover his clients as well (mine covers up to four anglers aboard, but I never carry more than three - and that's stretching a point...). You should be able to contact whatever agency covers fisheries in your state to find out their exact requirements. All of the guides that I know carry liability insurance based on operating a commercial vessel for hire, so I'm not sure what arrangements freshwater guides make for insurance coverage. If you're planning on guiding I'd look into that topic thoroughly (including contacting one or two of the prominent guides in your area so see how they're covered). Since I guide in a national park (Everglades National Park) I'm also required to have a permit to operate in the Park. Part of that permit requires that I carry a certain level of liability coverage (and they're specific about what's required), we're also required to fill out and send in trip tickets for every day on the water in the Park. You'll probably run into similar situations if you're working in national or state parks in your area.

Good luck, remember as well that if you're going to be guiding you're probably going to want to have a business license (or occupational license, depending on what's required). That will also be your entry into purchasing supplies at wholesale, possible guide discouts, etc.

You can contact DNR for getting inland waters "pilots" captains license. They will mail you a package that contains info required to become a guide "driftboat" if you will.

Basically need to take a written test and complete a physical. This doesn't allow you to use any Federal launch ramps or even to step on any federal land, for that you need a federal permit< forget about obtaining one of those, not going to happen.You need insurance which is a simple thing to get.

In addition to liability, you should get an umbrella coverage policy to protect your assets; if something happens and the judge does not feel you carried enough liability then he will let the claimant go after your home and possible future earnings. I don't know about Michigan but down here when I looked in to insurance to cover me guiding, the companies required me to raise all of my vehicle policies to show I had honest intent on being covered and not just trying to get the cheapest/lowest coverage just to be covered.

With the cost of the boat, insurance and other incidental expenses I would have had to make four trips per month just to break even, not all that bad if I were single and were going in to it full time. However, I had a full time job and would have only had weekends, so, I had to forego that endeavor.

Prior to that, I had guided for Big Red Guides and Outfitters part time for ten years. He had the boats and insurance and paid me a good wage to take his extra clients out. When he retired, I investigated doing it on my own part-time and found out it would be a break even business.

If there is an outfitter in your area, that may be a good way to get started and learn the business too. My experience with Big Red Guides will never be forgotten and prepared me to be my own guide service, had I not had four mouths to feed and a wife, I probably would have quit my regular job and did it.

Kirk

My father already has a Kentucky Hunting and Fishing Guide license. If you have a passion for fishing it's easy to become a fishing guide and you have to obtain all necessary fishing permits and licenses. The minimum age to become a guide is 18. These licences and stamps are produced yearly, and must be renewed by March 31 of each year.

Just got my Guide license a little over a month ago! The editor of this site actually wrote up a good story(With me in it) on the process of becoming a guide in West Virginia. Heres a link.

www.wvgazette.com/Outdoors/HuntingFishing/201107301512

cheers,

shane

p.s. if the link didn't work, Google...Wading through paperwork....

when it comes to something like this the proper licensing is crucial... i've been a hunting outfitter for the last 15yrs and i would highly advise you to ask your local DNR or if you have one your state marine board. in oregon the state marine board handles and records all the licensing requirements for guiding and outfitting, our fish and game has nothing to do with it.

not that you were given any bad advise on the post but when it comes to your legal requirements, assumed liability, laws regarding what you can and can't do as a guide or outfitter i would get the info from the "man"