Fly Tying
Stippled Popper

My System And Other Comments

FoamHeadsOnOlive.png

Some of you are aware that for some time I've had a link in the About Me section of my Fly Tying Forum Profile

to a PDF file I work on from time to time which goes into different aspects of making non-deer hair poppers and

my stipple painting technique.

As with anything related to fly tying, ideas and techniques derived from other people are part of the document.

I picked up some of the ideas from people who regularly post here. My thanks!

A link to the 16+ megabyte file(It is very image intensive) is contained at the bottom of the post. It is my intention

to add even more to the document in the future as other activities and duties permit. For anyone interested in

keeping up with the document I'll continue to maintain a link to it in my Profile as I make future changes. It might

be easier to keep track of where to look for the link to the latest file that way.

Anyway, if you are into poppers, or are merely curious, the download is available for no charge. Feel free to

distribute it to others if you don't charge for it. Just press the correct button where the link directs you. The

image of what the button looks like is displayed below:

The site changes from time to time. First you may need to choose the Regular Download Button to get to the

screen with the following button. AND you may need to scroll down to see the Regular Download Button You may

also have to scroll down on the page the Regular Download Button links to you:

SendspaceButton.png

Here is the link: Painting Poppers With Dots & Other Thoughts On Poppers

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

FoamHeadsOnOlive.png

Some of you are aware that for some time I've had a link in the About Me section of my Fly Tying Forum Profile

to a PDF file I work on from time to time which goes into different aspects of making non-deer hair poppers and

my stipple painting technique.

As with anything related to fly tying, ideas and techniques derived from other people are part of the document.

I picked up some of the ideas from people who regularly post here. My thanks!

A link to the 16+ megabyte file(It is very image intensive) is contained at the bottom of the post. It is my intention

to add even more to the document in the future as other activities and duties permit. For anyone interested in

keeping up with the document I'll continue to maintain a link to it in my Profile as I make future changes. It might

be easier to keep track of where to look for the link to the latest file that way.

Anyway, if you are into poppers, or are merely curious, the download is available for no charge. Feel free to

distribute it to others if you don't charge for it. Just press the correct button where the link directs you. The

image of what the button looks like is displayed below:

SendspaceButton.png

Here is the link: Painting Poppers With Dots & Other Thoughts On Poppers

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WOW! That's all that comes to mind. What a fantastic document. I am a relatively new fly tyer (about a year) and have been amazed at some of your poppers. Now I am even further amazed by your "how to" document. It allows a newbie like myself the opportunity to try and paint poppers similar to yours. Certainly its going to take A LOT of practice to be in the same league as you but given this tool you wrote up I will be able to try. Thanks for putting this together and posting it on here.

I had some trouble actually finding the document to download due to ads on the site so it may be helpful to you to walk people through or possibly have the document loaded on to the site via an admin. Just a thought.

Chefben4 (Ben)

I can't getr this to download. All I get is a bunch of invitations to download " Fast Download Manager",.etc, then no link to any download.

I guess I know how to read, but forgot how to comprehend. I finally figured this out and am downloading now. Can't hardly wait to read your information. Thanx for posting

I can't getr this to download. All I get is a bunch of invitations to download " Fast Download Manager",.etc, then no link to any download.

Please post a simple link to this file. Thanx. It seems really interesting.

Try scrolling down the screen. The Regular Download Button is probably further down on the page for you. It is in my browser.

Coming along nicely Ron. Great job on the text and pictures! Thanks for sharing and combining in to one file.

Beautifully done!

Kirk

Sweet! I have not started tying poppers as of yet and appreciate the document. I have been doing a lot of research and looking at a lot of pictures. The one thing that I never quite understood was why most people don't put anything on the bottom of their poppers. I mean, you're not trying to catch birds. I see that you make your design on the bottom as well as the top. They look awesome! Is there some reason that more people don't put some kind of design on the bottom? Am I missing something? Last time I checked fish looked up at a popper.

Had a quick look at your article. Truly exceptional. I will be doing some of these this winter.

...Is there some reason that more people don't put some kind of design on the bottom? Am I missing something? Last time I checked fish looked up at a popper.

Ninja, could be most pictures you see of poppers are from the side/top and you can't really see the bottom. Most people I know do put something on the bottom. I usually put red or black wiggle lines and other times dots. However, if you think about it, many things in nature do not have any or many markings on their underside, which as you said is the side the the fish are used to seeing.

Kirk

However, if you think about it, many things in nature do not have any or many markings on their underside, which as you said is the side the the fish are used to seeing.

That makes sense. Thanks. Couple squiggles and made some reddish stippling near the back should be enough.

Kirk:

I would like to point out that most all frogs have some kind of 'dirty' markings on their belly to help camouflage them when in the water. Such markings apparently add greatly to the camouflage of a frog laying at the surface in a weed bed. A bullfrog is a classic example of such belly markings.

Attached is a photo of a couple of poppers made by a very dear friend who is a commercial guide out of Ennis, Montana. Bill was visiting and he caught a big bullfrog on a popping bug, the first one he had ever had in hand. He sent me this after returning home and wanted my comments on whether or not I thought his attempt at making the belly "dirty' was adequate. (Should give some idea of what the winters in Ennis are like.) Incidentally, these bugs are made from glued-up 2mm "fun Foam".

This also illustrates how observant the commercial guides can be.

post-8431-0-73167900-1317758468_thumb.jpg

Perch, thanks for pointing that out about the frogs; I've been dirtying the belly of my frogs for as long as I can remember. Below is the belly of a typical frog popper I make, I know the lines are pretty black, not very realistic. A real frog has more blotchy grey markings on its belly unlike either of our bugs; I may try to go to a grey but I ain't god and the fish are gonna have to settle for squiggly lines.

All of my poppers have either black squiggle lines, red gill lines or a couple dots just for old-time sake or a combination.

I think most people don't see the markings on the underside of poppers because they are photographed from the side and top.

Kirk

Squiggle lines.

DSC_0190-27.jpg

Old fashioned red dots on bottom.

DSC_2252-7.jpg

Red gill stripes on bottom and up sides a little.

DSC_2021.jpg

Kirk,

What did you use to make the scale design on the last poppers. They all look great; I'm going to have to post some of mine. Its an ongoing learning process!

Ray

Kirk,

What did you use to make the scale design on the last poppers. They all look great; I'm going to have to post some of mine. Its an ongoing learning process!

Ray

Harold:

The scale pattern is usually created by using a knurled handle. It is a diamond like pattern as in the following image.

KnurledHandle.png