Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

A couple of firsts for me during our trip to Ontario. To start off the trip my first bass on the fly rod. A decent sized small mouth on a chartreuse clouser, caught on the Saint Lawrence River. Then I was off to Sault Ste Marie to try my hand at fly fishing for Atlantic salmon and steel head on the st marys river. Although trying for 5 days straight i wasn't able to hook into any salmon, which were my primary target and goal for the trip. I did however convince two nice steel-head to take my fly, another first on the fly rod. Sadly the picture of the steel-head doesn't do justice to the size of the fish. I don't know the exact size but it was close to the size of my entire arm. Anyways, here are a few pictures.

a3edfa8c-7d80-454c-b050-51d386850715_zpsc15d5637-a1c3-4faa-a6a4-23d1b885ad4d_zps5eb0f118-20f0-4773-8722-c5b91b74c58a_zps

that is one fat little smallie.

steelhead or monster residential rainbow? i think the later with the time of year and the colours on her. beautiful fish none the less.

I was catching fish yesterday. Using my "panfish attractor" (something like a panfish Charlie that I tied before ever seeing a panfish Charlie), I was catching 4 to 10 inch Large Mouth Bass. I was just turning the camera on, when my fly rod broke.

So, the video I DID get, was with my travel spinning gear. You get the fish, just on the wrong gear.

They were fun, even more so on the fly rod.

Did I draw it? I don't get it Mike. It was super blurry because there wasn't much light. It was a killer fish though probably 13-14" and it had to be 6" from the center of the very fat belly to its spine, I have no idea how much it weighed though.

You broke your fly rod? How did that happen?

Aside from my allergies acting up, I had a productive day fly fishing my hometown river. Caught 6 smallmouth ranging from 14-17 on articulated streamers. Can't wait to go back out next weekend.

post-55511-0-24648100-1438027690_thumb.jpg

post-55511-0-98127000-1438027775_thumb.jpg

Did I draw it? I don't get it Mike. It was super blurry because there wasn't much light. It was a killer fish though probably 13-14" and it had to be 6" from the center of the very fat belly to its spine, I have no idea how much it weighed though.

You broke your fly rod? How did that happen?

I was joking ... just inferring, for a drawing, it was a good picture ... never mind, it was a joke that loses something in the retelling.

I'll put a warning in here for everyone. If you're thinking of buying a "travel rod" ... don't buy an Eagle Claw spin/fly travel rod. (Yellow, in a plastic box, available online or at BPS)

I bought one, snapped a section on a hook set. I got that fish in, it was only a pound or so. I bought another one, thinking the first one breaking was, maybe, my fault. Snapped a different section on that one. With the two of them, I was able to complete a rod ... which is what I have with me. Snapped this one setting the hook. Since it was drifting free when I took the slack out, I don't know if I set on a fish or a snag, but the rod is done. I will never own another one of those.

I did purchase an 8 foot, 4 weight, four piece rod from BPS that fits in the Eagle Claw carrying case ... so that is now my new travel rod.

Went to the San Joaquin River south of Manteca after work yesterday. I am hating California a little less now. Still not finding any larger fish, but these little Spotted and Small Mouth Bass are fun. And I miss wading streams and rivers like this. Brings back memories of my younger days.

Thanks ... and yes, to me, this is the basics of fishing. Small water, tough little fun fish, water warm enough to wade in, cool enough to keep the heat at bay. I hope there's a 2 pounder or so in there, but if not, my inner child is very happy.

Thanks ... but with specimens over 10 pounds, these are babies.

But in this super clear water, they sure are beautiful fish.