Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Cam vs. screw vise

You guys have any prefrence as far as cam vs screw vises. I'm looking to get a new vise from Santa and want to get the right one. I'm getting a rotary vise and until now I have always used a regular vise with a lever to secure the hook. I seen vises with both styles and I'm curious which is better.

To me it seems the screw type would be tedious to have to retighten the hook each time, but maybe I'm missing the point on how it works.

I've completely had it with the screw tightened jaws on my Renzetti travelar. If it wasn't for the fact I'm hoping to get a new vice in the spring I'd be mailing out for some replacement cam jaws ASAP. They're just a pain in the butt. It seems like I get some slippage about every third fly and I have to re-align the hook and tighten it down. And I'm not one who really yanks on their thread either. mad.gif

Lots of guys like the cam style, i have the screw type on my Renzetti and honestly i've never had a problem with it dunno.gif long as you dont unscrew it anymore than need to get the fly out then you dont have to turn it more than a turn to retighten IMO.

SD

Go cam smile.gif then get one oversized for extra horsepower!

Cams just look so much easier to use to me never had one with a screw but switching between large and small hooks looks like it would be a pain.

I don't have any problems with my renzetti traveler's screws. when you know how to do it and do it right it works just fine. read the instructions, guys, you'll be surprised. some guys have problems w/ the screw siz, but I'm not one of them.

I do think cam locking vises are a bit mor secure but you have to be equally precise in your adjustments before clamping the hook in.

so whatcha gonna get?

I'd look long and hard at the peak (cam vise, if I remember correctly).

I know I am.

mgj

I guess I probably should have clarified where I have the most problems as not everyone ties the same sizes/ranges. My problems decrease with hook size 90% of the problems are on the sizes 6-8's and substantially less on 10's, size 12 and smaller I don't have nearly the problems.

I didn't have a problem with the two vises I had with screws until I got the cam jaws for one of them. Ain't no turning back now! You still have to tweak a screw for big leaps in size with a Renzetti cam jaw, but it is oh-so easy now! Besides, it is way cool the way the fly falls in your hand when you release the cam!

It's funny, I can see the stuck-in-his-ways 'old fart' in me trying to get out but with too-many-piece rods and cam jaws I admit there are improvements that do indeed make sense.

i got the screw standard renzetti traveler. the thing is, i got the vise for 80 bucks, so if i order a set of cam jaws, i get the cam jaws and a backup set of regular jaws for the retail price of the vise itself. So far, i haven't had any problems with the screw jaws though. i think maybe a lot of people don't read about how the jaws should be set in the directions, and have a lot of problems because of it.

steve

I avoided my Renzetti Traveler over my Regal for awhile because of the screw jaws. When I was forced to use it for the rotary feature, I soon got used to it. I recently thought seriously about changing to a cam jaw, but decided it wasn't worth the money.

This is, however, the only vise I've used with this type of clamp and can't comment on any other configurations.