Fly Tying
bertgwen

Pike Swap

I put my flies in the mail this afternoon. Let me know when you get them!

-Forrest

Flies arrived yesterday, look great. I'm impressed with everyone's progress. Keep at it.

Here is my Barr Bou Face that I am going to submit. I took the pattern out of this book so I figured I'd give it credit. The fly is about 7" total. If you don't like the tail length it will be easy to trim it to however you would like it. 2 down, 6 more to go.

Hook: Mustad 2/0 4X long 2X heavy

Thread: Black Uni-thread

Tail: Rabbit strip, pearl flashaboo, black/green Krystal Flash

Body: Red and Black Marabou

Swapwinter12005.jpg

Nice looking fly Yiman. It looks like I'm the tail dragger here. I will be using a 3/0 keel hook good for bottom dredging as the hook point rides facing up and they will be all of 5 inches or better and 3D eyes that I make myself out of gold holographic 1/4" disc's I found in a craft store and Loon UV Clear Fly Finish. I've tied up a couple but this pattern is still evolving. Hmmmmmm.... I will try to knock these out today. Whatever they end up being. I'm trying to remember that not everyone has a 10 wgt. to chuck an all bunny fur pike fly. Cheers

A friend just sent me an email containing these pics of a 55# new state record Pike for Michigan. The other Pike was 36". I guess we need bigger flies, like 2 or 3 feet long.

post-35389-0-33522400-1329427526_thumb.jpg

post-35389-0-47753300-1329427541_thumb.jpg

post-35389-0-43324700-1329427561_thumb.jpg

A friend just sent me an email containing these pics of a 55# new state record Pike for Michigan. The other Pike was 36". I guess we need bigger flies, like 2 or 3 feet long.

Quick google search.... looks like these pictures have been going around for a few years...

Looks like a sucker minnow on the hook. That may be obvious, but I'm posting only to get out of the "bait fisherman" category!

Sorry, didn't see the hammerhandle as the ultimate bait. Found one washed up on shore once with a smaller northern wedged sideways between its jaws. They are greedy! I see I'm now a beginner, so I'll shut up.