Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishDragon

Hopper Hooks

Thinking about tying up some hoppers and I am not sure what to use.

Would you use a long dry fly hook so it floats well?

I'll go against the grain and recommend a Mustad C49S. I'll caveat that with saying I usually use it for bigger foam patterns that need a wider hook gape, but I really like it. And it's a versatile hook that can also be used for a variety of nymphs and such.

Here's one I've done so you can see:

5986513374_f01f54b2e6.jpg

Shark Taco Hopper by El Frito, on Flickr

I kind of like to use the curved hooks because it looks more natural too me and they don't have to float that well because if you look at a grasshopper in the water it doesn't float high on the surface like a mayfly.

Biuegill 576...

I have caught 'millions' of grasshoppers in my day, both to mount on a hook, and just to make them "spit tobacco", or to toss onto the water to watch the 'gills' fight over them (Yes, many of the summers of my youth were misspent!). I have caught them from only a fraction of an inch long, to approaching 2 inches long (the big so-called 'Lubber' Grasshopper found in the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandle regions; but, I have yet to ever see one with a 'curved body'. Where do you find these?

I use Mustad 94831 hooks for mine (I have a nice supply).

Biuegill 576...

I have caught 'millions' of grasshoppers in my day, both to mount on a hook, and just to make them "spit tobacco", or to toss onto the water to watch the 'gills' fight over them (Yes, many of the summers of my youth were misspent!). I have caught them from only a fraction of an inch long, to approaching 2 inches long (the big so-called 'Lubber' Grasshopper found in the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandle regions; but, I have yet to ever see one with a 'curved body'. Where do you find these?

I use Mustad 94831 hooks for mine (I have a nice supply).

They are not really really curved, they are just not perfectly straight. But then again I tie pretty much all of my flies on curved hooks because I personally think it looks more natural.