Fly Tying

What knots do you guys use for tippet to fly connection? I have been using what is know as the surgeon's loop? A fly fisher I once meet on the water showed me this knot to give my flies more action. It has worked fine for about a year or more, but not today.

I was fishing in some clear water ponds earlier today and the bite was slow but existent. I have seen a good size bass in one of the ponds the last two trips. This trip I got smart and not let him spot me. I happen to see him and stepped behind a powerpole next to the water. I laid out my line with my fly landing in proximity to him. (I just tied the fly last night specifically for today.) I let is sink to the bottom which was about 5-8 feet I assume. He was instantly interested and stuck his nose to it. I slowly pulled it along the bottom and he took a minute to finally gulp it up. Right after he took it I set the hook and pop my knot broke. Needless to say that is why I am not on the water now lol.

Here is the only picture I have of the fly:

dde963d8.jpg

Can't even see the fly lol it is in the fish's mouth though.

It was like a wooly bugger but with some modifications.

I have more luck with a non slip loop knot. Use it for bait fishing and never breaks. I use it for flies and noticed that bad casts wont rip it off the tippet like the other knots I have tried. I do not have any other name for it. It is similar to the rapala knot.

I have more luck with a non slip loop knot. Use it for bait fishing and never breaks. I use it for flies and noticed that bad casts wont rip it off the tippet like the other knots I have tried. I do not have any other name for it. It is similar to the rapala knot.

I second that. It supposed to test out at 100% of the line strength when tied properly.

Kirk

My vote is for the non-slip loop knot. I always use that one. Except when I went out today, I couldn't remember how to tie it. So, I used an Orvis knot. :lol:

improbed clinch, no-slip loop, and double surgeons. depends on my mood.

Clinch knots and for more action I like a perfection loop. It doesnt slip if you tie the actual knot. The rapala knot is good but perfection has less bulk. :)

I'm going to go out of the box a little here. For my warmwater, I use a Palomar to a quick-snap. I've even had a tug of war with a northern over a sunny with this set up and I got the fly back while he got the sunny.

Deeky

I have become partial to the Davy knot for small flies. Through may tests the Davy has performed well and in 7 months I have broken one knot. It has replaced the clinch knot for me. On larger stuff I will still use a Palomar knot that goes back to my lure days.

Well I went out today and tried the non-slip loop knot. Sadly, it snapped when I stuck a rather LARGE LMB. It made me sad lol. I had a few other hits but didnt stick any. I will give the knot a second chance though because my leader might have had a weak spot right next to the end (I just use a stright peice of 6# copolymer). I will try to give a few of these other knots a try to. Thanks guys!

I use a non-slip loop for almost evrything these days, second only to the UNI knot. If you were broken off by a big bass don't forget that as they get bigger their teeth also get a bit more abrasive.