Fly Tying
Flyman416

Strange materials

Ok so what is the weirdest materials everyone have ever used or still uses. Like i think we all have seen the Dr Pepper minnow, so materials like that. The strangest material i have used are strips of warhead sour candy wraper as bodies for streamers.

I forgot to mention the Dr Pepper fly is a minnow/spoon fly made with the tin of a DR Pepper can wrapped around the hook with someother things tied as the tail

I used Sasquatch hair that got stuck on a fence behind the house. One night I saw it cross the fence, and the next morning I went out and found some pretty good sized clumps of hair caught on the barbed wire.

SO, instead of gathering the samples forensically to once and for all prove it's existence through DNA, I just grabbed the hair and tied a streamer with it. First time I used it, I hooked a monster fish and it broke off. :ph34r:

I used Sasquatch hair that got stuck on a fence behind the house. One night I saw it cross the fence, and the next morning I went out and found some pretty good sized clumps of hair caught on the barbed wire.

SO, instead of gathering the samples forensically to once and for all prove it's existence through DNA, I just grabbed the hair and tied a streamer with it. First time I used it, I hooked a monster fish and it broke off. :ph34r:

Now that's funny.

I hope my neighbors never figure out why their cat has bald spots from time to time.......

Guest rich mc

i have been tying some gill patternes using the rubber prongs off some of the kids ball toys they are about an inch to 2 inches . cut them to length slice the bas with a razor half way thru . do the thread bass and glue on . a small hackle collarand bead head or small dumbell eyes . they stretchand hold up good. rich mc

Don't know if this would count, but I have used the urine stained hair from the testicals of a yearling albino Tibeten Yak. Fairly rare material - most fly shops don't carry it any more. They can't find a reliable source. :rolleyes:

Actually, I have used candy bar wrappers and the foil seal from a can of coffee. (Decaf)

I didn't tie it. But a member of my club took the hardened stem from the part of a banana which attaches to the stalk and turned it into a fly

which he showed several of us. He claims to have caught a fish with it. But he is a fisherman.

I think this one goes under the strange category. It was actually a popular fly pattern over in the UK in the early part of the last century for both trout and grayling. The body hair is Blue cat's fur, dyed for 36 hours in picric acid. The pattern is called McCaskie's Green Cat. This is a size 14.

Regards,

Mark

I think this one goes under the strange category. It was actually a popular fly pattern over in the UK in the early part of the last century for both trout and grayling. The body hair is Blue cat's fur, dyed for 36 hours in picric acid. The pattern is called McCaskie's Green Cat. This is a size 14.

Regards,

Mark

doing some research on the Picric Acid cult following... I'm on to you now. If you don't catch fish on any of your regular flies, carefully tie on a Picric Acid fly and cast it into a pool... make sure you hit the water hard with it and BANG!! just like a DuPont Spinner without having to light it!

Anyhow, I thought it was a Sasquatch, but it might have just been the neighbor's girlfriend... from Perry County. :lol:

Don't know if this would count, but I have used the urine stained hair from the testicals of a yearling albino Tibeten Yak. Fairly rare material - most fly shops don't carry it any more. They can't find a reliable source. :rolleyes:

Actually, I have used candy bar wrappers and the foil seal from a can of coffee. (Decaf)

i would say that most definately counts like how often do you get yellow hair from the testicles of an albino yak. I find that somwhat humerous aswell but i think thats just me :D