Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nick2011

tippet size

i was curious what size tippet most trout fishers prefer when using #18 or smaller dry flies and nymph patterns..im still pretty new to the fly fishing portion

i was curious what size tippet most trout fishers prefer when using #18 or smaller dry flies and nymph patterns..im still pretty new to the fly fishing portion

Depends upon the water conditions and weight or wind-resistance of the fly. Smooth, glassy water requires a finer (and longer) tippet (so as not to sppok the trout) than rougher water. Most importantly, the tippet has to be heavy enough to turn the fly over. Not usually a problem with #18 and smaller dries. I guess I would be using 1 or 2 pound tippet for the dry fly and 2 to 4 pound for the nymph. But I would bet those who fish for the big hawgs use heavier.

Depends upon the water conditions and weight or wind-resistance of the fly. Smooth, glassy water requires a finer (and longer) tippet (so as not to sppok the trout) than rougher water. Most importantly, the tippet has to be heavy enough to turn the fly over. Not usually a problem with #18 and smaller dries. I guess I would be using 1 or 2 pound tippet for the dry fly and 2 to 4 pound for the nymph. But I would bet those who fish for the big hawgs use heavier.

thats kinda what i was thinking,it just seems so light, i guess thats were the fun in the fight somes in

There is a "rule of thumb" about hook size and tippet size that I found on the Orvis website about 5 years ago. Take the hook size, divide by 4 and add 1 to equal the tippet size. So a size 16 hook would require a 5X tippet. No body ever told me that! At the time, it seemed like the best kept secret in fly flinging.

But as others have said, you have to look at the conditions, and what fish you are targeting. In clear water, the smaller size tippet is better in the belief that the fish won't notice the tippet. The strength of the tippet is also a factor. And then there is the discussion about regular tippet vs. fluorcarbon tippets.

Just a guide.

Tippet Diameter Tippet Size Pound Test Fly Size

.003 8x 1.2 24-26-28

.004 7x 2 20-22-24-26

.005 6x 3 16-18-20-22

.006 5x 4 14-16-18

.007 4x 5 12-14-16

.008 3x 6 10-12-14

.009 2x 7 6-8-10

.010 1x 8.5 2-4-6

.011 0x 10 1/0-2-4

.012 x1 12 2/0-1/0-2

.013 x2 14 3/0-2/0-1/0-2

.014 x3 16 5/0-4/0-3/0-2/0

.015 x4 18 6/0-5/0-4/0-3/0

Since you are a beginner, I want to answer in a general way and then in a more specific way directed at beginners.

There are two factors: visibility and suppleness. Thinner means less visible and more supple. Of these two factors, suppleness or the ability to allow a fly to move unrestricted is the more important. Suppleness is what allows a fly that is attached to a leader to float or move drag free.

Fish can see a tippet but most of the time, they ignore it. What they don't ignore is unnatural behavior which is what drag produces. That is the main reason we use thinner tippets on smaller flies. So we go down in tippet size not for less visibility but to reduce drag. A large tippet attached to a small flies causes more drag.

But going down in tippet size is not the only way to reduce drag. Using a longer tippet reduces drag because the tippet section falls with more slack. The third way is to use a slack line casts that either position the line and leader so as to reduce drag or add slack closer to the fly.

To summarize then we can:

1. Reduce the diameter of the tippet

2. Lengthen the tippet and also the leader

3. Use a cast that lands with more slack

4. Place the cast so that less drag occurs

Now on to the rules of thumb. There are two that I suggest, the rule of 3 and the rule of 4. Divide the fly size by either 3 or 4. The rule of 3 gives a thinner diameter than the rule of 4.

I suggest beginners start with the rule of 4 to get more control into their cast; and as they improve, use the rule of 3. So for a size 16 fly, the rule of 4 is a 4X tippet and the rule of 3 is 5X tippet. To get more drag free drift, then add length before going down in size. So beginners should first go to a bit longer tippet and if you can handle a 24 inch tippet of the rule of 4 tippet go to a 24 inch rule of 3 tippet. Once you can handle that, go to a 30 inch rule of 3 tippet.

For a size 18 fly I suggest 5X for you and then 6X as you become more accomplished. This assumes that the strength of the 6X is sufficient to land the fish you will be hooking. If not, go to an even longer 5X if you need a longer drag free float.

With incremental changes you will still have the accuracy you need but get a longer drag free drift. With this method you get the longest drag free drift you can, with the accuracy you need.

I just got in a couple spools of 9X!!!! :blink: :unsure:

Wow! Never seen 9x tippet in a fly shop.

Me either. I found this on line and grabbed some 8.5 and 9X. The 9X is .002" and 1.5lb. That should go very well with my 1wt !!!

Paul