Fly Tying
Piker20

How do you eat yours?

Bass or panfish get pretty much the same treatment at the camp site an egg and milk bath then dipped into drakes fry mix and lowrey's season salt then pan fried over an oak and maple fire in a cast iron skillet at home we do a bit different we use drakes mixed with lowrey's season salt buttermilk,hot sauce, and beer making a batter then deep fry till done

trout are cooked for breakfast with fresh picked morals and eggs over easy then back out on the water to catch more

pike are baked in lemon juice pepper and garlic croutons

Cornmeal

paprika

chili powder

garlic powder

onion powder

salt

pepper

mix to taste roll fillets of panfish in it and bake on "Pammed" cookie sheet 10-12minutes at 400 degrees.

Soak fillets in1 to 2 tlbs soy sauce for 4 to 6 hours. Bake or gill. Very good with crappie.

Rick

Smokin' Fish

Brine:

½ gallon of water at room temperature

1 cup Kosher salt

½ cup brown sugar

1/2 medium lemon - juice

1½ tsp garlic juice (or powder)

1½ tsp onion powder

1½ tsp allspice (it's best to sift this into the water to avoid clumping

1 teaspoons black pepper

In a glass, or plastic container (never wood or metal), mix all of the ingredients thoroughly until dissolved.

Place the fish in the brine solution ensuring that all pieces are completely submerged. Weight the fish down to maintain complete submersion.

For short brining periods (three hours of less) in cool temperatures the brine may be at room temperature if the fish is well chilled before placing it in to the brine. If the fish is not well chilled or the room temperature is warm, place the brine and fish in a refrigerator for the duration of the time of brining, or you can place bags containing ice in to the brine mixture to cool.

Weight of Each Piece of Fish

Time for Brining

Under ¼ lb.

30 minutes

¼ lb. To ½ lb.

45 minutes

½ lb. To 1 lb.

1 hour

1 lb. To 2 lb.

2 hours

2 lbs. To 3 lbs.

3 hours

3 lbs. To 4 lbs.

4 hours

4 lbs. To 5 lbs.

5 hours

The total weight of the fish is irrelevant. Time of brining is established by the weight of the individual pieces of fish

Drying

At the end of the brining period remove the fish for drying.

Lightly rinse in fresh water.

Place the fish on elevated racks for drying prior to smoking. It is easiest to use the same racks that you will use in the smoker. Lightly oil the racks to avoid sticking.

Place the racks of fish in a cool breezy place protected from flying insects. I usually place an electric fan near the racks to provide a breeze.

The time for drying is usually about one hour while a thin glaze called the pellicle is formed on the fish. The pellicle aids in the development of the color and flavor as the fish is smoking. It also helps keep in the juices and retain the firm texture of the fish as it is smoked.

Smoking

Any hard wood (alder, apple, oak, hickory, pecan, cherry, mesquite or grape stock) works fine for smoking fish. I like cherry or mesquite for the saltwater fish I typically smoke, but any of the fruit woods work excellent for milder freshwater fish - orange wood is awesome for trout.

Too much smoke will cause the fish to taste bitter. Use just enough wood to maintain a steady smoke - what we call TBS (Thin Blue Smoke).

Smoke the fish at approximately 190 degrees. Lower temperatures can be used with a corresponding adjustment to the smoking time. At 190 degrees follow these approximate smoking times.

Weight of Each Piece of Fish

Approximate Smoking Time

¼ lb. To ½ lb.

1¼ hours to 1½ hours

½ lb. To 1 lb.

1½ hours to 2 hours

1 lb. To 2 lbs.

2 hours to 2½ hours

3 lbs. To 4 lbs.

2½ hours to 3 hours

The chart represents smoking times which will vary based upon the type of fish you are smoking, the equipment you are using and the temperature at which you are smoking. Cooking time needs to be increased depending on how many times you lift the lid or open the door to check on progress.

Smoked fish is done when it flakes easily while pressing it lightly with a knife or fork. On larger pieces of fish you may want to test for doneness with an instant-read thermometer. Fish is done when the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees.

Serve while warm.

If you plan to store the fish, remove the racks to an elevated surface to cool. I've found you can set the racks on top of empty beer cans. Usually there are plenty of those around. Once the fish has cooled for a half hour or so, wrap tightly in foil and place the foil parcel and store in a zip lock bag.

142965377.jpg

THATS a BBQ. My friends building a cold smoker so hoping to make use of that soon.

Cold smoking salmon is awesome - I just picked up THIS pellet smoker that I put inside my smoke cabinet to cold smoke. In a week or two I'll start practicing making LOX. The nice thing about the AMNPS is that it can be used in the BBQ also so long as it isnt over the burner - I love to use Mesquite pellets when BBQing pork chops over low heat, huge hit with the family.

In the (Idaho) back country, I just build a fire, clean the fish, jam a stick into the mouth and through body out the back behind the dorsal fin and hang it over the fire. Turn it a time or two and add some salt. Zip out the skeleton and eat it crispy fins, skin and all. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I don't know about all the other stuff - I just want to taste that fish.

Nothing - NOTHING - is better than fresh trout over an open fire. Especially when all the food you carry is freeze-dried.

Jimboha!

PS Now, I do pack a few out on the last day but I grill them on the gas BBQ without the stick and they taste the same.

I dont keep to many fish but when I do they usually get cut into chunks and fried. My favorite fish recipe though is baked tilapia. For those who dont know what a tilapia is it is and invasive species here in central florida(dont know about anywhere else) that tastes great. They grow to about 5-10 lbs in just a few years so their are plenty of big ones. Anyways I bake the whole fillets with some barbecue sauce in the oven to bake. I will also cook some bacon wrapped shrimp and white rice. After thats done I mix it all in a bowl and eat.

They've actually made it into Lake Mead near Las Vegas, caught some back in the early 90's out there, not sure how they made the crossover into fresh water, kinda like stripers I guess, but they are beginning to get around.

Hi!

Everything in this section looks tasty but could be toooo complicated to cook. Besides that all unnecessary ingredients mask the real flavor of the FISH. All you need is a wooden fork, a tiny amount of salt, and fire, ...

post-34261-0-80674600-1339363523_thumb.jpg

For Trout: Remove the head and innards. Place a spoonful of butter, some onions, and basil leaf in the body cavity. Wrap in foil and grill. They will steam in the foil. you can usually remove the skin in one or two pieces and the meat will mely in your mouth.

This is my all time favorite trout recipe! It is delicious...

Panfried Trout with Bacon and Red Onions

Makes: 2 servings

Time: 45 minutes

Think of this as campfire food, made at home. Other seafood you can use: salmon or any thick fillets or steaks or whole sardines.

4 thick slices bacon

1 large red onion, thinly sliced

2 whole trout, about 12 ounces each, gutted and split or filleted

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 cup cornmeal

1/2 cup beer (a strong ale is good) or water

Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish

1. Put the bacon in a large skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium heat. Cook, turning several times, until it just begins to get crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove and drain. Immediately put the onion in the hot bacon fat and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to turn golden, about 5 minutes, then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon. Roughly chop the bacon.

2. Rinse and dry the fish and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Dredge the fish in the cornmeal, put in the pan, and raise the heat to high. Cook on both sides until nicely browned and the interior turns white, 8 to 12 minutes total. Transfer to a platter.

3. Turn the heat under the skillet down to medium-low and add the beer, scraping up any browned bits that have stuck to the pan. Let the beer bubble and thicken a bit, then return the onion and bacon to the pan. Spoon the bacon and onions and pan sauce over the fish, garnish with parsley, and serve.

I have a quick easy trout fix that is a little different. Salt and pepper cleaned trout cavity, then sprinkle in some cumin. Use orange slices or wedges and squeeze juice in trout cavity. Put squeezed orange pieces in the cavity and wrap fish completely closed in tin foil. Cook over any heat source. Orange juice steams fish. Really great taste! Quick and easy. (Isn't tin foil fantastic!)

Have to agree with that one. Wasn't untill I went to ghana and caught some snapper and tiger fish that I appreciated the meat in the head. Best bit of the fish I reckon.