Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Daft question on Streamers

So I am looking at tying some streamer type flies. Have tied attempts in the past but was never happy with them and haven't revisited them for a while. Seeing some of the great flies on here has rekindled some interest.

My questions are,

1) if I am using hackle feathers for the wing/tail or feathers like peacock sword. Do they have to be in pairs to prevent spinning and enable the fly to swim straight?

2) When using Hackle feathers is it the broader 'round' feathers that are best, looking at the pictures it looks that way. Or are there benefits to different shapes.

So I am looking at tying some streamer type flies. Have tied attempts in the past but was never happy with them and haven't revisited them for a while. Seeing some of the great flies on here has rekindled some interest.

My questions are,

1) if I am using hackle feathers for the wing/tail or feathers like peacock sword. Do they have to be in pairs to prevent spinning and enable the fly to swim straight?

2) When using Hackle feathers is it the broader 'round' feathers that are best, looking at the pictures it looks that way. Or are there benefits to different shapes.

With your questions where are you thinking of using the materials? Are you looking at hackle like a wing like a Matuka, or down the sides so serve as a lateral line?

Kevin

I was thinking more like the matuka but thought that only uses one? I was looking at the patterns like these

post-42518-0-44369200-1337778246_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-23511200-1337778274_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Images pinched from fly pattern database. Not my own efforts but what I hope to get to.

And there was a pattern on the forum with a bullet bead head, deer hair then the feathers. Think they called it the searching streamer but can't find it now.

Is that what you mean by lateral line?

My questions are,

When used for wings and tails, you generally use one pair (sometimes two) for the reason you mentioned. Plus it looks better. The Matuka similarly uses a pair of matched feathers. You wouldn't match peacock sword, but you do want equal amounts on either side of the body. The shape of the feathers is determined by the type of prey you want the fly to look like, the other materials used to construct the fly, and your personal taste. (Not to mention what you have available at the moment!)

BTW- I really like your second fly!

Sorry can't take credit for the posted pics. They were from the database as an example of what I'm looking to attempt. I've edited my post to reflect.

Someone posted a streamer with a large sword wing that was paired and thats what led to this question. I guess I'll pair my feathers best I can and go from there.

You pair feathers and position them with opposed curvature. Commonly, the concave faces of all feathers face the centerline of the fly.

Or you may face all convex sides to the centerline of the fly. This splays the feathers and enhances breathing action. Use as many feathers as your pattern and hook size require.

When tying Matuka style, you may also secure the feathers so that all face the same direction,...i.e., all concave sides facing left or right. This may induce a wobble as the fly swings. This is how Harry Lemire tied his steelie sculpin.

If your Matuka is rolling in the current, then I'd say something other than your fly's wing is the cause. The chicken feathers typically used are just too soft in the barb and/or rachis to affect more than a defined wobble.

As for feather choice, rooster body feathers and hen saddle offer nice round tips as an option to the thin, tapered tips found on rooster saddle. For larger patterns, Chinese rooster neck feathers have long (though somewhat sparse) barbs.

one example of peacock sword fiber wing is an "alexandra"

alexandra_wet.jpg

never heard of "pairing" peacock sword fibers for a wing

Heres an example of what I was alluding to when I said a pair of swords. Didn't mean pair like with wing feathers.

post-42518-0-30774300-1337801823_thumb.jpg

The recipes I've seen often call for a pair of sword feathers, but I've found it easier to just use one and they look fine. I use them occasionally for streaker and needlefish flies, but trying to pair them up and get them to sit evenly on the hook is usually more trouble than it's worth. BTW - they're pretty fragile - it doesn't take too many fish to destroy the fly.

The recipes I've seen often call for a pair of sword feathers, but I've found it easier to just use one and they look fine. I use them occasionally for streaker and needlefish flies, but trying to pair them up and get them to sit evenly on the hook is usually more trouble than it's worth. BTW - they're pretty fragile - it doesn't take too many fish to destroy the fly.

Um I did wonder how fragile it might be. I thought about using a pattern like the one above for mackeral but they will likely rip it to bits.

i use 4 to 6 feathers concave style for all my matukas

this really puts a solid dorsal fin on the flies

i never strip the bottom part of the feathers on my matukas like others do

i use 4 to 6 feathers concave style for all my matukas

this really puts a solid dorsal fin on the flies

i never strip the bottom part of the feathers on my matukas like others do

Where do the fibres push out to that flair when you tie it to the hook shank? Do you pull them vertical to add to the dorsal?