Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Dogs for Smallies

Well, you guys recommended Fire Tiger and Shad for colors if I had to pick something for my friend going to Canada for Smallmouth Bass. I hope these work for him. I've tried some already on the LM Bass down here and they liked the Fire Tiger, first time I've done a that color scheme. I like it.

Thanks for the advice,

Kirk

Some #4s & a #2 on WAPSI hook

JeffSchniederSmallieTrip-19-19.jpg

Mustad 7x streamer hook, #2s

JeffSchniederSmallieTrip-16-16.jpg

Some Parker Feather Minnows on a Gama B10s #2

JeffSchniederSmallieTrip-10-10.jpg

Those are awesome!!!

That they are! ! !

I was recently entrusted with the raffle tickets of someone who had to leave the meet and ended

up winning some of Kirk's flies. There was a great temptation to abuse my friend's trust.

Kirk those are very nice. The overall job in every aspect is top notch.

Fred

Kirk, firetiger was ALWAYS a go to for me when targeting LMB in Florida, I see no reason your friend shouldn't knock it outta the park on smallmouth bass in Canada. I know, here in Cape Breton, the trout and salmon fisherfolk HATE smallies and they are starting to move into traditional trout and salmon fisheries. I have not caught any yet but I will be keeping them for a fish fry when I do get some and I'm thinking your firetiger "dogs" may be the 'goto' I have been looking for....

Murray

Kirk, these flies are mind blowing. I ADORE them. I think they are out of this world, beautiful. You set the bar almost out of sight with these. Good grief, they are OUTSTANDING!!!

Kirk, these flies are mind blowing. I ADORE them. I think they are out of this world, beautiful. You set the bar almost out of sight with these. Good grief, they are OUTSTANDING!!!

Ditto all the above comments. Your very talented craftmen. Paticularly like the feather minnows.

Kudu, Fred, Kelly, Ron, Murray and Piker, thanks for the generously kind comments.

Ron, go ahead and use them, tell him your dog ate them or you spilled coffee on them - hey accidents happen.

Murray, interesting problem ya'll are having - smallmouth bass being invasive! Go figure. I've caught LMB up to 2 lbs. on these. They are small so, I'm curious if they would attract the attention of larger bass, smallies in particular.

Piker, the feather minnows are an old style head created by a bug maker in the southern United States. I knew it as a Parker Minnow but it may have been created by Peckinpaugh, not sure; have to do a little research now.

Thanks again,

Kirk

Awesome work, i am going to be looking for the guy throwing the fancy flies. My buddies that throw poppers on spin gear do most of their smallie catching with a skitter pop, always a chartreuse or orange bellied version so these should work really well plus firetiger is always a money colour! The size looks perfect too. Only 1 month to wait until bass season, yay!

Incredible stuff as always Kirk. The fire tiger colors not only works well on the bass but are killer on snook as well, especially in the gulf. I have no doubt that all 3 of those flies would slay them in any color, but especially FT or chartreuse over white. If you ever get the chance you should venture south and try them out, the hits would be incredible

Ron, you are a stand-up man, better than I.

Thanks Mike, they're only an inch and a half, I should have put something in there for scale; I'm hoping they are big enough. You must be in a different part of Canada than where he is going, not sure where but he is heading up June 2nd.

AGN, thanks. I would love to chase Snook one day! Either with these guys or the standard. The hits vary wildly with this bug, but most of the time they follow for a little ways so you see a wake coming up from behind then other times, they do just jump on it out of nowhere.

Thank you too Fly. He must be going Ontario way as he is heading up June 2nd. I only wish it were me going; maybe one day...

Thanks,

Kirk

Yeah that size should be killer! The beastly smallies will go crazy!

*scratches head* Must be 'lake of the woods', as that is the only place in Canada i know of where Bass is open by June 2nd. And if he is going there i am so jealous!

Funny stuff here, these months before open season there are just bass everywhere and i see people fishing for panfish with the worms and bobbers that just cannot escape the 'horde' of bass.

I do think the fish have spawned early due to this weather and maybe Canada needs to change the seasons a little bit. Or make a catch and release option for non spawning fish?

It is kinda weird, say in '1000 islands' i could be on the other side of the St Lawrence river (100 metres) in NY state and targeting bass would be fine yet on our side in Canada it is a big no no.

Anyway seen people doing the right thing and moving on if the swarm is in town.

The problem with that fly i can see is going to be mr pike, now if he chomped through my line i would jump in after him to retrieve the fly! Wrestle him good!

The problem with that fly i can see is going to be mr pike, now if he chomped through my line i would jump in after him to retrieve the fly! Wrestle him good!

I've used this stuff when I've fished areas I know have pike. American Fishing Wire Surflon Micro Ultra. It didn't seem to put off the perch or chub I was after at the time because they tend to get aggressive if the fly/lures right and don't mind. Might work your end and you might land that bonus pike if it latches on.

Also the newer titanium wires are very fine and might not put off other fish.