Fly Tying
novabass

Bluegills on trout flies?

BG (a term for all sunfish)

"BREAM" is the generic term for the small members of the Centrarchidae family (sunfish). "Bluegill" is a distinctive species of "Bream" (sunfish) unto itself (Lepomis macrochirus).

Cheers!

Frank

Is it okay if I post a pix of my catch on a stringer? I'm going to fillet a few. Is that offensive? I don't want to start a whole big thing.

I haven't seen any objections to posting a few pictures of your stringer of gills. Most places with gills can usually benefit from some harvest of a few fish. Just don't take TOO many. Not because you will hurt the fishery with a full limit, but it will take all night to filet them all.

Fish are there to be eaten. I personally eat very few now but still take sea trout in sensible numbers. Don't take big fish early spring that will be breeding genes for future big fish etc.

If folk start to say you can't eat them its a slippery slope to stopping us sticking hooks in them.

So post the pics and the successful fly.

I have found that they CAN BE very cooperative. And, I have found times that they can be so infuriatingly selcetive, that you would swear they are related to trout!

To say that they will eat anyting is a bit short-sighted. They can....BUT...it is highly variable. The ponds I had frequented, for bluegill, were all different. One pond, they were highly focused on tan caddis. They could be excruciatingly focused on bead head soft hackle hare's ears (a soft hackle pattern). But, NEVER take a standard "Hare's Ear". They would sometimes take a tan caddis larva. But, only at the right time of year. They would, of course, take a tan caddis adult. Again, at the right time. A few other patterns were also good. Royal Wulff, Yellow Wolly Worm (sz 6, believe it, or not). And, Yellow Humpy. However, the royal wulff, and yellow humpy were shredded in short order. While the Elk Hair Caddis remained intact, for 30+ fish.

Every body of water is different!!!!! Don't expect that a guy who says poppers are the best, has to be right! I NEVER caught them on poppers at my two favorite spots! I always love to take fish on top. But, it's not always the best method. In fact, the place I fished the most, you would NEVER take a bluegill on anything black. But, they guy I used to buy my fly fishing stuff from SWORE by black!

Again, every place is different!

I've caught bluegills on golden and giant stones, prince and stone nymphs, and I've caught trout of bluegill flies such as beadhead woolly buggers with red fritz and pine squirrel strips for the hackles. The only thing that I haven't done is catch trout on bass flies

I kid you not they will take twigs! they only smarten up when you’ve been torturing the same swarm for hours than you have to switch to a different fly like something that looks like a rock or small leaf... no joke

but if you wana get fancey than id say stick with long shank hooks for one, like size 10 streamer hooks because they swallow things...its...annoying, and with the long shank you can pop it out rather than dislocating the poor things jaws with your pinky to get at that small a** hook! believe me i usually catch over 100 on a 2 hour trip :P. Generally i just use any oversized nymph on size 10 streamer hook. and for dries, sharks foam wasp orrrrrrrr foam spider in brown or black.

Druce