Fly Tying

Hey I'm tryin to expand my understanding of techniques and I'm wanting to see how everyone, if you do, fishes with nymphs, i.e., favorite nymphs, favorite rig to use, ect. Any advice is awesome as well!

I have tried throwing nymphs before, both as a dropper an with a float, but never seem to have any luck, nor do I have any confidence in it. I always end up wanting to just dump all my nymphs in the water and walking away!

I never use bobbers myself when nymphing for trout. No snob prejudice there -- I just see no need for them and I nymph more then any other way. A lot of the tme I do use an indicator in the butt section made of 6" or so fluoroscent leader material or a short, flotation assisted, segment of decored, larger, fluoro fly line strung onto the butt of my leader. Watching for 'ticks' or dives in the hi viz segment really tunes up my reflexes and, as I get better at it, I can strike a taker as the indicator just begins to move. I swear sometimes after really working with that system awhile, I can and do anticipate some strikes. Then I just fish with a plain leader and watch the tie in point. I have used long, ten foot, rods for nymphing -- even pre discovery of the Czech/Polish methods -- because I got easier, more efficient, mending; longer drag-free drifts; and straighter connections to the fly.

My favorite nymph of all is the Borger srtip nymph weighted.

Rocco

I fish nymphs from bottom to the surface. Most of the time I fish them without indicators. I will just weight the leaders to get them down. I will fish a suspended nymph under a stimulator or other fly more often than I will use an indicator. I found that on some rivers, the fish will learn to move away from the indicator, but not a surface fly. They will ignore it, and take the nymph, but if they move away from an indicator, there is no chance they will see your suspended nymph. I fish soft hackles, and other emerging patterns just under the surface, and I tie a "floating nymph" they use foam for the wingcase.

Favorite patterns are pheasant tails, tied with different colored fur for the thorax, I also use many dubbed fur nymphs (Hare's Ear) in all kinds of colors, Flymphs mostly just fuzzy fur nymphs are also a favorite. Soft hackles in yellow, olive, orange, and peacock. Soft hackles I also tie with very thin dubbed bodies. Stonefly nymphs are usually the Brooks patterns. The green rock roller is about the only Caddis nymph I fish, soft hackles work well enough as a caddis pupae. I tie and fish thread midges. Midge larvae are just thread or ribbed thread. Pupae are just thread, with a white gill added.

I never use bobbers myself when nymphing for trout. No snob prejudice there -- I just see no need for them and I nymph more then any other way. A lot of the tme I do use an indicator in the butt section made of 6" or so fluoroscent leader material or a short, flotation assisted, segment of decored, larger, fluoro fly line strung onto the butt of my leader. Watching for 'ticks' or dives in the hi viz segment really tunes up my reflexes and, as I get better at it, I can strike a taker as the indicator just begins to move. I swear sometimes after really working with that system awhile, I can and do anticipate some strikes. Then I just fish with a plain leader and watch the tie in point. I have used long, ten foot, rods for nymphing -- even pre discovery of the Czech/Polish methods -- because I got easier, more efficient, mending; longer drag-free drifts; and straighter connections to the fly.

My favorite nymph of all is the Borger srtip nymph weighted.

Rocco

Did I understand that right, you use a piece of line similar to fly line as an indicator? I had always assumed that the indicator was for helping control the depth that the flies were at and helping them stay in te water column that you set?

With the fluoro mono indicators I do double barrel knot connections spliced into the butt of the leader. The fly line indicators use the same knot and I also use it to tie a leader to the fly line. I let the depth be determined by micro shot --or lack of it --well up the leader from the fly, tippet lenght, and the use of J casts and mending line to get flies deeper. Easily 80% of my nymph hookups are on or near the bottom. Bigger trout are almost always bottom biters for me.

If trout are spooking from the fly because of the indicator they would spook at anything -- the unnatural movment of a weighted fly, micro weights, or even the fly line on the surface. The distance from the indicator to the fly is usually over 7-8'.

I have actually had trout hit the fly line indicator when I had some hollow ones that slid up over a knot less leader to the butt. I cut them into inch long segments and they looked just like neon orange/yellow worms. Go figure fish.

Rocco

I like to nymph without an indicator, I just find it to be easier that way. My favorite rig on browns and rainbows is having Bead Head Stonefly imitation or Enchanted Prince(Lafontaine's pattern) in a size 12 or 14, then with a Lightning Bug, Hare's Ear, or Twist nymph in a size 16- 18 as a dropper.

I fish some nymphs under a dry fly but don't like the NZ style because I fish barbless a lot and I feel you need the barb to hold the dropper on. So I tie up some dries with a small loop of mono sticking out from the bend just enough to thread a length of line in and tie my nymph at the depth I want. Fish can still hit the dry and it will show you a bite to the nymph. I try to match the dry and nymph to what I see hatching or what I know is in that water.

For single nymph fishing, I've fished them just like wets only slower. When the sedges are hatching I will pull them quicker in the water and look for a quick rise fall pattern.

I had that frustration for years. I don't use strike indicators that much, just watch the end of my line

for subtle takes or change in direction. I also have changed from using standard nymphs to bead head and

it seems I have more strikes. I am guessing it's getting me deeper or maybe they are attracted to the shine

of the bead? I also have been trying droppers, say a #14 nymph with a #18 or #20 Brassie or Midge Larva and

have had good luck usually hitting on the smaller fly. HTH---John

I nymph fish quite a bit, it is the most productive way to fish in hatchless periods. I am a big proponent of using an indicator, they work great and help you no matter if you are a beginner or experienced angler. I have tried using a section of colored leader material rather than an indicator but for my own tastes I find that an indicator is much easier in situations where you are fishing over various current speeds.

Steve