Fly Tying

So thinking about the whole nymphing rig... A lot of the rigs I am hearing/reading about have like three or four different pieces. What knot are you guys using between each piece? 

I usually use a triple surgeons, I think, between my leader and tippet. Will that work for nymphing? 

I also read somewhere that some knots are less productive in power transfer and turning flies over? Is that true, and if so what knots should I be using? Thanks for all your help!

When I'm nymphing, I use a 7 1/2 or 9 ft tapered 4X or 5X leader with a long piece of 5X tippet(usually). The leader is tied to the fly line with a nail knot or its derivative the Albright. The leader/line and its connection has more to do with turning over the fly or flies. The tippet is just along for the ride. I always use a double surgeons knot with 4 or 5 wraps to connect the leader and tippet, irregardless of the type of fly. You will replacing your tippet often, so the surgeon's knot is easier to do on the stream and it is a strong enough knot.

For nymphing, I use a dropper nymph below another nymph or a dry or emerger. Some fly flingers tie the dropper to the upper fly's hook bend. I prefer to use a long tippet. Tie on the upper fly, and leave about 18-24" tag, and then tie on the dropper. The depth of the water will determine the lengths you want to use.

I am a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle when it comes to fly fishing.

Bill

For anything trout I use the figure of eight not. Its quick simple and very good for joining dissimilar materials.

Double the line, and figure of eight for a loop.

If you want to attach your fly with a loose loop, then form a figure of eight knot in the tippet, keeping it loose. Then put the fly onto the tippet. Take the end of the tippet back through both loops of the figure of 8 knot, pull the knot tight and lock with a blood knot (clinch knot).

Cheers,

C.

I always use a double surgeons knot with 4 or 5 wraps to connect the leader and tippet, irregardless of the type of fly.

Bill

This is a bit confusing. I'm not sure what a double surgeon's with 4 or 5 wraps is.

A double surgeons is a two turn over hand knot, a triple is a three turn over hand knot, etc. Either is OK for connecting mono to mono. I prefer a blood knot because the two ends are in line whereas a surgeon's knot is an offset knot.

The other advantage of a blood knot is that the tag ends are at 90 degrees to the standing line, if you are going to tie droppers off of them.

Note the blue and pink are offset from each other in the Double Surgeon's knot below.

surgeon_knot.jpg

Note the blue and pink are directly in line and the blood knot is slimmer.

Blood_Knot.jpg

Even though the surgeon's knot is offset, it makes little practical difference. I am a sticker for detail so I use a blood knot and I can tie them fast. You should use the knot that you feel you can tie well.

I use an Orvis knot for the tippet to fly knot. It is strong and wastes very little tippet material.

This is a bit confusing. I'm not sure what a double surgeon's with 4 or 5 wraps is.

A double surgeons is a two turn over hand knot, a triple is a three turn over hand knot, etc. Either is OK for connecting mono to mono. I prefer a blood knot because the two ends are in line whereas a surgeon's knot is an offset knot.

The other advantage of a blood knot is that the tag ends are at 90 degrees to the standing line, if you are going to tie droppers off of them.

Note the blue and pink are offset from each other in the Double Surgeon's knot below

I am a big fan of the blood knot as well, Silver Creek, but I never thought of using the waste ends as dropper lines. How effective is it?

Starting at the top (fly line - welded loop) I add this:

Image_rm_shockgumloops.jpg

Roman Moser shock gum...

Then, usually, a 7 1/2 ft 3x or 4x leader - the end of which is attached to this:

Tippet-Rings-600-1.jpg

...with a Uni-Knot (Duncan Loop):

knot7.gif

...then, a 12"-18" section of Seaguar or Stroft Flurocarbon, tied to the ring with another Uni-Knot...that is attached to my first fly,with a Uni-Knot - which is generally a heavy attractor...I use another 12"-18' section of smaller tippet material, tied with a Uni-Knot, off the bend of that barbless fly - to my dropper. I use these for weight:

twistons.jpg

...because they don't hang up like shot, if properly applied...I will use non-toxic shot in areas that require it. I sometimes will add another pattern off the tippet ring or by using a T - connection, off the attractor...

I prefer a 10', 4wt.-6wt. rod for this set-up and keep the whole nymph rig to just about 10'...it works on a 9' rod as well..

Dave Whitlock advocated using the Uni-Knot as "THE ONE KNOT" in the Summer 2010 Issue of Flyfishing & Tying Journal (pgs. 38-40)...I won't argue with him, I've been usin' it for the past 25 years...

EW-27-MIKEBROWNRELEASE_1.jpg

...works for us...

PT/TB ;)

I am a big fan of the blood knot as well, Silver Creek, but I never thought of using the waste ends as dropper lines. How effective is it?

It is very effective.

Ask yourself, why do wet fly fishermen use droppers rather than tying their flies in line like most nymph fly fishers? Droppers are more likely to tangle so why would they do that?

The reason is that when you nymph with the flies tied inline, the upper fly(s) is fixed in position and cannot move freely. With droppers, each fly can move freely of the other flies so they can move independently. Independent motion is needed for dead drifting as I explained in another post.