Fly Tying
br_fly

Custom Fly Tying Bench

373 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was bored this weekend and threw together a little something. Pretty happy with it for ~25$ and a few hours worth of work. If I have extra space I'll fill it, and I try to keep things minimal so I tried to only include what I need. Still have thread and a few tools to move over, but here's a pic I snapped right when I finished it up. It's portable and fits on a TV tray so I can grab some materials and tie wherever. Being able to tie from the couch while hanging out with my lady makes her (and me) happier than having me holed up in my office in the evenings.

post-46933-0-23116500-1362543133_thumb.jpg

Hey that's a good lookin table! I have to ask, what are the little bowls for? Mid-fly snacks? LOL seriously just wondering. I put bead trays on mine, but always lookin for upgrades.

post-19089-0-11986700-1358222311_thumb.jpg

I hear ya about the 'wife' that's why I made these, and most of the guys I know are in the same boat.

-Clint

Thanks - the little dishes are for hooks and beads. I'm trying to keep in the habit of tying a dozen of a pattern, so to grab the mats and set my hooks out (and beads if necessary, or multiple sizes... I have a few dishes to accommodate what I need) helps to keep me on track :lol:

perfect I'd say, good use of materials and resources!

Here's the custom tying bench my dad made for me a few years ago. Cherry and birdseye maple, made to the dimensions I wanted. He also inset a replaceable Melamine top into it so that if I drip glue, I'm not ruining nice hardwood. Also makes hooks easier to find. [img=http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh245/92Esquire/Fishing/FlyDesk.jpg]

That desk would easily retail for $1500, again easily.

Nope, not a pro. But he is an engineer who is incredibly compentent with tools and problem solving. He's actually a bit ashamed of this as it was one of the earlier things he did. He says when he sees it, he only sees the mistakes. I'm blessed to have it.

As any artist would.

@DSF- what is the swinging target board on the back for? Sighting in air soft pistols? I love the complexity of your portable table. It is done in such away that makes it look very functional and simple all at the same time. And the edges of the TV tray make a great stop all, catch all barrier. Well done indeed!!

I'm not DSF, but the target board is a backdrop so you can see the fly better.

One of these days, I'm going to make a tying station. Similar to what is seen, but able to fold down the sides and back so it will fit under the bed easily.

I looked to buy for a while, and looked and looked and looked. Besides the prices, which were all high, I just never found any I liked. They were all too small - no work area. So I started scribbling some ideas, finally got some measurements down, and took it to my Dad who has a woodshop. We spent the better part of a day cutting, glueing and drilling and came up with this.

DSC_0004.jpg

I have since changed the back to have two rows of spool holders.

I like your fly tying bench, built one similar: Reversed refrigerator flat magnet strips make a nice addition along the bottom sides for placing few batch hooks etc.

Being a new fly tyer but a life long hobbyist woodworker I really don't get the idea of one of these things. They look to small to really be functional. Some of them do look really nice and I guess they work for those without a dedicated space although I do not see these being the answer for a lack of space. I am fortunate enough to have a dedicated space where I use simple peg board and an old tackle box for organization.

If I were to build one I would probably incorporate these into a removable top from a chest of drawers. I would also make the top out of cabinet grade hardwood plywood rather then hardwood and the shelfs out of hardwood. Void free quality hardwood plywood is much more stable and cheaper with no loss of quality, astetics, or durability.

Jimr1961, thanks for clearing that up. I feel like a doofus for not knowing that. ;)

I completely agree with poopdeck. IMO it is too small for a commercial tier but may be big enough for a hobby tier. And honestly, I wouldn't even want one if I was a hobby tier. I prefer to have my material storage incorporated into my desk so I have everything within arms reach without turning my chair. This in turn makes things quicker and more efficient for me.

Matt

Being a new fly tyer but a life long hobbyist woodworker I really don't get the idea of one of these things. They look to small to really be functional. Some of them do look really nice and I guess they work for those without a dedicated space although I do not see these being the answer for a lack of space. I am fortunate enough to have a dedicated space where I use simple peg board and an old tackle box for organization. If I were to build one I would probably incorporate these into a removable top from a chest of drawers. I would also make the top out of cabinet grade hardwood plywood rather then hardwood and the shelfs out of hardwood. Void free quality hardwood plywood is much more stable and cheaper with no loss of quality, astetics, or durability.

I completely agree with poopdeck. IMO it is too small for a commercial tier but may be big enough for a hobby tier. And honestly, I wouldn't even want one if I was a hobby tier. I prefer to have my material storage incorporated into my desk so I have everything within arms reach without turning my chair. This in turn makes things quicker and more efficient for me.

Matt

So, lets see pictures of your spaces.