Fly Tying
br_fly

Custom Fly Tying Bench

373 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That looks good as it is. Killer vise, too. What's the thing on the right side of the desk?

That looks good as it is. Killer vise, too. What's the thing on the right side of the desk?

its a UV nail lamp. Good for curing UV resin as well as fake nails

I looked to buy for a while, and looked and looked and looked. Besides the prices, which were all high, I just never found any I liked. They were all too small - no work area. So I started scribbling some ideas, finally got some measurements down, and took it to my Dad who has a woodshop. We spent the better part of a day cutting, glueing and drilling and came up with this.

DSC_0004.jpg

I have since changed the back to have two rows of spool holders.

nice size, I love the stain color and the spool holders, I however seem to need and use alot of room see pic

again Nice,

Robert v

post-31848-0-73087500-1350971260_thumb.jpg

I was given a computer armoire by the mrs. I mounted my nor-vise to a scrap piece of black granite. Cost overall free. But it works none the less.

Pete,

I have a beautiful piece of marble which I'd like to use for a vise base, but am afraid drilling will crack/chip marble. Any advice?

Thanks.

Marble is actually a rather soft stone. Buy a bit for drilling ceramic tile. These bits have very hard edges and are designed to go through ceramic tile without chipping or breaking the tile. I've used them to drill holes through shower stall tiles to mount curved curtain rods, etc. one of those, the size of your vise mount, should do the trick.

When I bought my house, the previous owner put in one of those big (in my opinion, ugly) L shaped computer desks. One of the particle board things with fake wood grain on top. It's a great bench for now; I'm still in the process of organizing it but there's plenty of room for all my tying stuff and a computer. I've added a another part to it for servicing my conventional reels. Pretty cool to have a dedicated spot for all this.

Eventually, I would love to have a nice custom station built. It would be cool to sit at a well crafted piece of furniture while tying little pieces of artwork. Makes sense to me. Either that or go full garage style like I did with my graphic deign studio. All craftsman toolboxes and metal desks kind of setup. I really like the look of all stuff.

Hi guys! Im new to this forum and have been tying on and off (mostly off) for about four years.

When I renovated our house (about 16 years ago) I put three craft rooms on the attic level, one for each of us in the house at the time. My wife’s room is in the middle and along an adjacent wall to my room I cantilevered a cubby about 7 feet long by 1 foot deep and 32 inches high so she can roll little craft material carts into them so they are out of the way. On my side it created a ledge (counter) a little over 36 inches high onto which I added another counter into the room 4 inches lower and 18 inches deep. Under this lower counter is where I built ten material drawers with full length extensions and added a section of re-purposed butcher block counter that is attached perpendicular to the counter. This butcher block section is my actual tying bench and my material drawers are directly to the right of me. It isnt perfect and it isnt completely finished yet but it serves its purpose quite well.

I just built this one today. It's cherry, with corian for the base. I haven't stained it yet because I want to add a few things. I'm thinking about something to hold my various head cements/epoxy/UV resin.

2012-11-03_16-56-18_659.jpg

2012-11-03_16-56-37_383.jpg

I sorta always wanted one but realized I would out grow it quickly. Instead I. Used a small oak desk for several years which I also outgrew. I purchased a very large wooden desk from the local DAV for 20 bucks about a year ago and have since built a very large shelving system for the back of it as well as modifying the inside of the drawers for other needs. Most "part time" hobby tiers can and will use a small tying table for a very long time if not for life.

Steve

I live in a tiny (about 400 square feet) apartment, so my space is very, very limited. My tying bench is also my computer desk, which is actually just an old writing desk I was given by a friend, following losing everything in the 2006 flooding here in NE Ohio. The drawers on the left hold my materials and tools, and my new Xuron vise just sits on its pedestal base. I use a small desk lamp for light.

Someday I hope to have a nice roll top desk which I can dedicate to tying, but I wont be able to do so until I move to a larger place. As I have just finished my bachelor's and now have a fairly nice job at my university, that may be soon... but urgh, the master's is next! Might be a while... especially if I decide to pursue a PhD.

My little desk works great, to be honest. One nice thing about fly tying and fishing... it dosent need a lot of space!

Amanda

Heh once you get tenure you can just set up at your desk in the Uni. When students come to see you just remind them this is about adult learning and you're not there to spoon feed them like in High school.