Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

AUGUST FLIES from the bench

Here's a little baitfish imitation. It's really hard to tell whats going on with the crappy picture, but it's a killer on largemouth. Gonna have to try it in the salt...dry.gif Last two pictures are with the fly wettened.

Enjoy!

Thank You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf

post-43009-0-15283400-1344314541_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-68339400-1344314554_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-52715600-1344314565_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-84344800-1344314575_thumb.jpg

Looks good Carson. Very sand eely(?). I like the pinky hue that looks like bleeding gills or a stressed minnow. Should work great on pike too.

Hellooooo !

Here's something from my corner B)

post-44604-0-58321800-1344352208_thumb.jpg

Classical beauties!

Murray

Those are some great looking flies from everyone. Is it me or are the flies posted this month some of the best out of the past months?

Here are some of my old school Rattle Rousers tied with bucktail, hand painted eyes and ole' 30 minute cure epoxy coated heads.

Kirk

DSC_5618-1.jpg

Kirk, I think when people start tying, knowing they will be posting them to the monthly fly thread, they may take the time to do better work or else only post their successes...IMHO there have been a LOT of successes since the idea of a monthly thread was started by our fearless leader Will. That being said...WOW, there sure are some beauts in here so far this month!!! Kirk and P/T I expect your stuff to be great and you never fail to impress me and inspire me...FD, I am absolutely LOVING those salmon bugs!

Murray

Deer hair emergers. In smaller sizes I use CdC in place of the deer hair.

BnDH_0005_edited-2.jpg

Cheers,

C.

BnDH_0005_edited-2.jpg

Cheers,

C.

How do you get the deer hair to stand up like that? I see the butts are pulled over,do you tie the deer hair in with butts facing forward or backward. I use a similar pattern with elk hair, tips over eye of the hook.I like the "No Tail" too, it makes the rear end of the fly drop below the surface, when I add a tail, sometimes they lay on their side in surface film, the no tail version rides correctly all the time & the elk is easy to see. Definately my most productive dry emerger pattern.

The deer hair that splits the wing is a different bunch to the wings, not the butts. For the wings the deer hair is set into a dubbing loop with some coarse dubbing (to help hold it) and then spun. As you wind the dubbing loop forward tease each turn upwards with your fingers. You will end up with a large mass of deer hair on the top of the thorax. Then split this mass with some more deer hair (tied in like a long EHC wing before winding the dubbing loop). Tie down at the head. Don't pull this too tight as that will reduce buoyancy. It is the same method that Marc Petitjean uses with his duns, just done with deer hair in place of the CdC he uses.

Cheers,

C.

Wow, those are some awesome emergers, Crackaig! Here are some Early- Season Stones, size 14. The one on the right was killing the rainbows a few days ago at my favorite creek, but I have yet to try the other. I'll give the material list for the one on the right.

Hook: 3x long nymph hook of choice, slight curve

Weight: Gold or Copper Bead

Thread: UNI-Thread, Brown, 8/0

Tail: Natural Goose Biots, forked

Body: Turkey Tail Quill Segment, Herl-style

Rib: Krystal Flash, Pearl

Thorax: Dubbing Blend (P.M. Me if interested)

Legs: Six Goose Biots

Shellcase: Two Goose Biots and one Strip of Pearl Flashback Tinsel

Collar: Dubbing Blend

Antennae: Goose Biots

post-43009-0-39356000-1344464099_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-67365200-1344464108_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-97855300-1344464119_thumb.jpg

Nothing fancy, just a size 20 midge that I whipped out real quick to see if I could still do a 20.

DSC0003-M.jpg