Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Ring necked pheasant

Every fall my uncle gives me two pheasants for fly tying. He is giving me the whole bird. The problem is i have no clue what to use any of the feathers for other then the tail. Does any one have any good ideas or patters to use feathers from the whole bird not just the tail. I really need to use these birds up i have about five know and there is more coming this fall.

Thanks

You can also dip the church windows and other feathers #3 in polyurethane, slip them through your fingers and let them dry on wax paper to make hopper and caddis wings. I strip and dip them, slip them between my fingers to wring off and get a good shape, then lay it on its natural curve on wax paper. When you peel them off, the shine comes off of the top side, so I re-dip and turn them over. I don't dry them on their inner side down because I don't want them to dry in funny shapes. A second dip brings back the shine and it can dry with the shape already set in.

I guess I should give credit where credit is due.

I got the idea from Jack Gartside.

The late Jack Gartside wrote a very detailed small document entitled : "What to do With a Pheasant Skin". I think his old website is still up, at least it was about a year ago. If so, the article can be found there. He details what can be done by a fly tier with EVERY SINGLE feather on a cock ringneck skin.

Cheers!

There was an article in a somewhat recent issue of fly tyer magazine that had uses for the feathers besides the tail. I think it was the spring issue.

The feathers from the back of the bird with a slight indent at the tip make excellent crawdad claws