Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
switch10

Anyone interested in a beginner Google+ hangout?

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was just checking out Google+ hangouts for the first time, and I may be interested in hosting some sort of beginner fly tying hangout where I would teach how to tie some easy, but practical flies, maybe a new one every week or so. With real time trouble shooting, critiquing, material substitutions, colors, etc. I thought maybe I would post a pattern, with materials required, a few days before the hangout, so those interested could make sure they are prepared. I could also setup a poll that people could vote on patterns they would like to see.

I have been tying flies for many years, but unfortunately, most of the patterns I know are limited to river and still water trout. Perhaps some other folks would be interested in teaching how to tie other patterns (Salmon, Bass, Pike, etc.)...

Google+ hangouts are limited to 10 people, so everyone would need to sign up in advance.

Is anyone interested?

If I am reading his post correct and being familiar with Google hang out what I think he is talking about is a live video chat teaching lessons. Up to 10 people can join in and receive live interactive teaching of techniques. The participants would be able to see the step and ask any questions at the time it is being done. This forum is great for questions and answers but the live video feed could be very helpful in learning techniques in a real time bases. I think it would be a great help for the individuals who do not have a local shop or club to teach them. I know this would be helpful for me since I am not located anywhere close to any clubs, stores or that I know of any other fly tiers in the local area.

I don't know how often I'd be able to join in, but that sounds like it could be really cool. Would the other participants be able to ask questions in real time? It would be nice to be able to have a classroom-like back-and-forth conversation to learn how to tie better. Otherwise, I save up all of my questions for later (don't want to constantly bombard you guys here and can't be going to the fly shop every day), and I invariably forget most of what I was going to ask.

It's also just more difficult to ask questions and get feedback when all you have to go off of is typed words and photos...and I'm sure the same goes for giving advice.

I don't know how often I'd be able to join in, but that sounds like it could be really cool. Would the other participants be able to ask questions in real time? It would be nice to be able to have a classroom-like back-and-forth conversation to learn how to tie better. Otherwise, I save up all of my questions for later (don't want to constantly bombard you guys here and can't be going to the fly shop every day), and I invariably forget most of what I was going to ask.

It's also just more difficult to ask questions and get feedback when all you have to go off of is typed words and photos...and I'm sure the same goes for giving advice.

I have never actually used hangouts myself, but from my understanding all participants would be in able to interact with each other. Kind of like a Skype video call with 10 people. Here is more information for those interested http://www.google.com/+/learnmore/hangouts/

This would be more like a club with rotating members I suppose than anything else. I think it would be really cool to try this out!

Anyone else interested?

Yes I would be willing to try it. I think any time I can see someone tying it would be a learning experience. Just let me know when.

Thanks

Eastern NC

Craig

Jim from Fly Fish Ohio here,

For the life of me, I thought I had more posts here but it's been a while. I know this thread kind of died out a couple months ago but I've been in the process of getting a hangout started up that can be viewed by many people. With the help of a friend who runs an online radio station up in Chicago, we've been working out the kinks to do a larger type of hangout. I don't wanna hack off Will and I'm not sure I can publish url's here so I'll keep it down low. Basically, the ten people in an interactive hangout still stands. What you can do though, is broadcast that hangout live on YouTube and with an accompanying chat room for folks to interact with the tyers. We did a proof of concept tonight and posted the results to YouTube. If anyone's interested, the link to the hangout appears on the Fly Fish Ohio facebook page. We're looking forward to (attempting)a hangout per month. Basically an hour online with chat and the results get rendered by Google and posted to YT. We're hoping to cover a large variety of flies and tying styles but feel free to ask for a particular pattern if you want to see it tied. Let me know if you're interested or if I can just put the url's in here.

-Cheers,

-Jim

I can't answer your poll ... you don't give an option I'd pick. I am sure there's information to be gained from an online video chat style. I'd be interested, but I don't know if or when I'd be able to participate. I would have to say yes, I am interested, but don't start one depending on my participation.

I'd be very interested in a "recorded version" after the fact, since most of the participants will have asked any question I might have had.

Recently I started a community on Google+ called Fly Fishers & Fly Tiers. The problem with Hangouts is everyone has to be on line at the same time. That can be difficult to organise. However if you would like to use it as a basis to organise one feel free to use it. If I am about I'll gladly chip in with any help I can offer.

Cheers,

C.

One of the newer aspects of the latest version of hangouts is that it gets recorded and posted to youtube. You can have up to (I believe) 1500 people watching the live stream. You can only still have like 10 people in the actual hangout. The live stream is a lower resolution than what the direct hangout participants get but hey, when you're on the bleeding edge, you have to make a few compromises. We're actually doing another hangout tomorrow night over at Stop And Go Radio. Just put that into a google search and you'll get a good link. That's where we'll have the embedded link to the google stream and a chatroom where viewers can chat with participants.

-Cheers,

-Jim