Fly Tying
SILKHDH

FLY TYING TOOLS YOU MADE YOURSELF

I like the dubbing loop twister made with a toilet seat screw and nut ... washers for weight. That's an easy, inexpensive tool!

Sorry Kirk...

I skipped over that part of your post in my haste to see your home made tools and their photos. However,even with your clarification, I do not see any modifications to it at all. What are you referring to when you say ...I modified it with two sloped faces..."? This looks exactly like the one in his book, and mine that I made following his excellent engineers drawings, and dimensions.

Am not quibbling; just trying to set a precise record for the benefit of those who might want to make their own.

Incidentally, I did NOT push the REVERSE button!

Cheers,

Frank

This looks exactly like the one in his book, and mine that I made following his excellent engineers drawings, and dimensions.

Am not quibbling; just trying to set a precise record for the benefit of those who might want to make their own.

Cheers,

Frank

Frank, I cut a slope on both sides of the middle tower. One side is about 11 or 12 degrees and the other is the original 6 or 7 degrees or whatever, I can't remember. The steeper side I use for cutting tapered heads that when held down pop up in the front and the steeper angle still gives a little slant face. On the flatter angle, I use to cut flat bottomed bugs such as balsa that if when held flat and cut on the steeper angle side would be almost vertical.

Granted, its not a serious modification enough to call it my own, which I don't but its a dual face cutter now.

Mike, considering its an old screw and washers and cup screw in the "spare parts" box, its very inexpensive.

Kirk

Evening Everyone,

New to the forum and thought I would chime in with some things I am working on.

As a jack of all trades and master of none, I have started many hobbies and have been working to integrate some of them to justify all of the money I have invested (aka 'making the wife happy').

One of my hobbies is 3D Prototyping and Manufacturing. I have assembled a couple of 3D printers that I use to create working prototypes for my projects and clients.

I've been working on ways to integrate that technology into my newest hobby, fly tying.

Below is a photo of a Altoids tin fly box that I created tonight, with the aid of a 3D printed template used for cutting the foam.

149893_10100506326444606_755854760_n.jpg

In addition to the foam cutting templates, I'm working on some various jigs and tools such as a fly drier and thread bobbin.

I'm working on a SBS for creating the Altoids fly box and should have it completed soon.

PERCHJERKER

What a nicely thought out tool that is. The ejector tube,, nice touch. I also appreciate the effort you put into making the nice wood handles. I like it. Nicely done!!!!!!! Bravo!!

I definatly plan on making one of those.

SILKHDH

KIMO

Thanks for the photo station pics. By the way the sample of the "I assume a mysis shrinp fly" came out, this is a system I am going to try. I do alot of bigger flies beings I am a Kansas fly fisher. Bass and panfish flies. I do tie alot of trout patterns for my trips to Colorado. I am going to copy this system. Wish me luck. I might try a milk jug for my bigger bass streamers and poppers. Shurley it will work. I like the halo effect you get. Looks better than the white back drop I usually use.

SILKHDH

Mr Kirk Dietrich Sir,

All I can say is MacGyver would be so proud of you dubbing spinner. Thats what i'm talking about. Bravo!!!

I want to see all kinds of difficulty levels of tools here. Advanced and beginner stuff. Thanks for that.

Also, your painting techniques are beautiful. I am dead serious. I thought I was good. I would love to see a tutorial on how you did the blue and the gold lures. The scale pattern is knarly!!!! Plus the whole lure design with the extended hook and the built-in weed guard is, well lets just say, extremely professional looking.

THEY ARE REALLY NICE!!! I can see the patience and time spent on those for sure.

SILKHDH

STHRNCOMFORT

High Tech!!!! I think that is awsome to make a template with a 3D printer. You must be a perfectionist like me.

I do engineering for the plastics extrusion industry and have seen other types of 3D printers work. We don't use anything that high tech. though. Have you seen the fully operational cresent wrench made with the spray type 3D printer. The wrench totaly worked when done. Was crazy!! Curious to see other things you do with it.

SILKHDH

SILK, its Kirk; Mr. makes me sound older than the 50 that I am soon to be. Anyway, thanks for the compliments on the flies in the hanger picture. I did a balsa class a few months back and have a handout on making the extended hook. Its an Adobe pdf file that I could send you if interested. Just email me at [email protected] and I'll reply and send the file. I don't have a tutorial on the foil embossing yet but should soon.

Kirk

Buy the way guys,

I don't care at all if the tool or what ever is a copy of someone elses design. "To mimic is the best form of flattery" I allways say. Its not whether you invented it, its that you desided to make it yourself. Most of the vises and tools I have made are copies of others designs. Its the fact that I made it myself. Now when I use it to create my flies, I get even more satisfaction. Hey, none of us would be tying our own flies if we didn't enjoy the satisfaction of holding it in our hands when it was done, saying "I MADE THAT" Not to mension the thrill of catching our quarry on the things. I guess I need to get buisy taking some pics of the vises and tools I have made to show you guys. I would have ton of submissions. LOL..

P.S.

It is allways a good idea to mension the true designer of any item that is copied.

I know I will.

Thanks for all the submissions guys. Keep them coming! I would like this forum to become a library for other tiers to referance for all kinds of tying problems and projects. I know I have allready benefited from it. WE HAVE ONLY STARTED!!!

Here are a few tools I have fashoned myself.

Some dubbing needles, AKA Bodkins

Then a dubbing twister or two

A few dubbing brushes I use, None of the tools pictured is actually made as a fly tying tool.

Finally a whip finish tool I made myself.

post-12074-0-96211300-1352145372_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-98703600-1352145456_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-58147700-1352145602_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-26659900-1352145663_thumb.jpg

Kirk,

Just showing respect to a talented painter and fly producer.. I will refer to you as Kirk from now on buddy. God knows about the 50 year old thing..lol ... Im 51 very soon. Its hell getting old. LOL I was fishing this weekend and mentioned to my friend it seems like I get colder, slower, more sore, and grumpier every day.. lol

And when I get the time "soon" I will E-mail you. I am jealous as heck of the balsa lures you did. I take it that it is foil wrapped, then embossed with something. I have done the embossing with a Exacto knife knurled handle. But nothing with the big scales as on yours. I like it. It is like a small form of expanded metal as the embossing media. The guard on a small fan like on the side of a computer perhaps???

These are some of the tools for fly tying I have made. The first photo shows some dubbing needles (one with a deer antler handle) a dubbing roughener,a small bowl to hold hooks or beads, etc., The second shows a razor blade holder for trimming deer hair, a stand for drying flies, my spinner for drying epoxy and a cup holding the clips for the spinned. The last photo is shows the riser I made for my Peak vise.

post-29776-0-49036800-1352433594_thumb.jpg

post-29776-0-99949400-1352433628_thumb.jpg

post-29776-0-13254000-1352433702_thumb.jpg

Evening Everyone,

New to the forum and thought I would chime in with some things I am working on.

As a jack of all trades and master of none, I have started many hobbies and have been working to integrate some of them to justify all of the money I have invested (aka 'making the wife happy').

One of my hobbies is 3D Prototyping and Manufacturing. I have assembled a couple of 3D printers that I use to create working prototypes for my projects and clients.

I've been working on ways to integrate that technology into my newest hobby, fly tying.

Below is a photo of a Altoids tin fly box that I created tonight, with the aid of a 3D printed template used for cutting the foam.

149893_10100506326444606_755854760_n.jpg

In addition to the foam cutting templates, I'm working on some various jigs and tools such as a fly drier and thread bobbin.

I'm working on a SBS for creating the Altoids fly box and should have it completed soon.

Man, that is awesome! I've always wanted to mess around with one of those 3D printers. Let us know when you finish that SBS...