Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SCOwens

Photography Entertainment

Everytime I head out for sheeps, I catch puffers, and can't help but laugh. Figured I would share the photos. I know I didn't take them OTF. No chance of landing the sheeps on the fly, drag you straight into some pylons

P1030089_zps7cf0295d.jpg

P1030090_zps4f83d2eb.jpg

P1030084_zpsdd6ab0dd.jpg

P1030096_zpsbd8aafbc.jpg

P1030098_zps7fa6f032.jpg

At least I got to carry one for dinner Sheepshead that is, no eating puffers for me

I take it the second fish is a Sheepshead? The teeth look like the kind they photoshop into talking animals.

That's a sheepshead utyer, with you going south you need to try them. A very hard fish to catch because the bite is so light you rarely see or feel it. They eat crabs , shrimp and other crunchy things, hence the "people teeth". They love to hang around pilings and other rocky spots...very good table fare.

Murray

Cool pics! That 3rd shot looks strangely like a girl I dated in High School. :unsure:

You took the words right out of my mouth Chase. :lol: Actually, I used to have a porcupine fish in my aquarium that was a dead ringer for that spiny rascal in the pic. SC, those puffers are supposed to be fine table fare. My late uncle, my late aunt, and my late cousins used to eat blowfish at least once a week. Hard to believe they're all gone now. :(

Very familiar with your bunch of critters. The blowfish and porcupine (burrfish) will readily hit small gold colored flies; sheepshead will take a very life like looking crab fly and sometimes can be found over oyster beds or coquina rock ledges and they are ahandful when you get a hook up. By the way our southern puffers are illegal to keep out of the Indian River system because their flesh has been proven deadly (poison) to some people. Iuse to eat them quite often.

@utyer, yeah no photoshop there, just lots of fun catching as lykos noted they love crustaceans thats what I took them on fiddler crabs.

@Chase Creek, I guess you have since moved on from that female haha

@P.G. I would dare try to hook up with those sheeps on the flyrod where I was fishing, that would be bye bye 8wt against some pilings. I had the boat tied off between 4. I have heard of people eating the blowfish, in Charleston I have heard them called Go Puffers many times.

Thanks everyone for the input on the photos, the wife and I enjoyed a meal of sheepshead, sweet potatoes, and green beans tonight. It's my favorite time of year for sheepshead, just as the heat starts to break a little bit. When the puffers leave is when it becomes optimal

That's a nice Sheepshead.

I haven't fished for Sheepshead since leaving North Carolina. But up there, we would take fiddler crabs, put a hook through the back, then tap the water with them. Just dip them in and out of the water right by the piling. After a few seconds of this, you let it sink about a foot. Normally, this is when you'd see the flash as the sheepshead rose up and turned on the take. Catch 4 or 5 in an hour this way.

I think, if you were trying to fly fish for them, a crab imitation with a very slow sink rate would work well. False cast it to the piling about 5 to 10 times, letting it hit the water each time, then let it sink for a second or two before repeating.

@Mike I actually scraped the pilings this go around, caught 15 in about 2 hours, it was a great time, went through a pint of fiddler crabs, couldn't keep one in the water, but lots of puffers too. But hey as you can see they are fun also haha. Wish they were more keepers to carry home but thats how it goes. I think I will find them again this weekend.

SO

Yeah my fishing trip got a little messed up ... thought about going tomorrow but still looking like 25mph winds, I will pass and go tie some more flies haha

Very cool pics. I used to know a guy in college that ate blowfish. I wouldn't touch them but he loved them. I watched him clean once and the meat did look good, like a chicken drumstick. Sheepies are great fun but can be tough to get because of the subtle bite, especially on shrimp or oyster meat. They sure are tasty

Great pictures, love the head on pics of fish teeth and beaks. The only way I can catch sheepies is with a spear gun, very tasty.