Fly Tying
fdfretes

TRAVEL - WHERE ?

So, my fiancee and I just broke up blablabla BUT, BUUUUUUUUT...theres an up side.

That means I have a week off by myself thanks to that in november. Assuming a limited budget, lets call it...$800 ?, where should I go fishing ?

I am located in Manhattan, KS close to Kansas City and my truck gets 17mpg hwy. Am not opposed to camping.

Colorado ? Yellowstone ?

Bring on the suggestions !

A friend also offered a place to stay at his vacation home in Warrenton, VA which is 2hrs45mins from shanendoah national park...anyone ever fish there ?

well if I had the chance Colorado is where I would be

ditto x2

yellowstone? might be closed to fishing. youll need to check the regs

Loosyana for some reds....Should be a great time to go..I think the bulls are there in November. Take your heavy rods and have fun and report back.

I have been to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc over the past couple of years. Personally, Wyoming is amazing and has so many different fishing opportunities and each one is so unique. Drive an hour and you feel like you are in a completely different world. I do believe Yellowstone is closed November 1st but the best fishing is outside the park anyway. Problem will be weather, I have fished out west in October a few times during blizzard conditions and I'm assuming November can be even worse.

I have a sage 4wt rod and have only been fly fishing for a couple months...gear might eliminate the redfish :D

I havent caught trout yet so that is a priority...other fish will be caught soon enough :D

Wherever you're going, it's bound to be warmer than the Rockies in November, especially if you plan on camping. Virginia can be very pleasant in November, but it's a long drive from Kansas. With only a week off and your current location, it's gonna be hard to find anything that amounts to more than a quick visit. If it were up to me, I'd try to find something a little closer to home. Hey, how about some fall steelheading? The forum abounds with Midwest steelhead guys, and maybe there's a productive area somewhere that wouldn't keep you on the road for most of your time off. Whatever you do, it's certainly gonna beat the hell out of getting married.

I would head for southern Colorado. Upper Arkansas, and Rio Grande river systems, offer pretty good places to fish and camp. The smaller streams would be ideal for your 4 weight, and are full of trout. Good camping, but the weather could be a problem. Snow in November is a real good possibility.

The Driftless area in WI could be a good option but not sure of regs in that area. Great for a 4 wt. Go in to the closest fly shop and chat with them for a bit on destinations and see what they say.

Think I'd head west to somewhere like Basalt,Co fish the Frying Pan, Roaring Fork, Crystal and Colorado all within about 30 mins and a 4wt would be fine ..maybe a little light on the Colorado.

If you want good trout fishing I think your closest bet is CO althought you will be braving the cold. Almost all of the tailwaters should still be open and the spawners should be around a bit. Another thought might be the san Juan in NM which is not quite as far as WY or the N Platte in WY is relatively close. If you do head to CO you are likely to avoid heavy snow fishing the S Platte, Arkansas and Rio Grande. Feel free to pm me for good free camping and I may even be able to join ya for some fishing.

Josh

November? head south ... as far as $350.00 will take you. 100 bucks for fishing license and food, sleep in the truck. Fish in WARM weather for a week. $350.00 to get back home. That's what I'd do, but then ... I HATE cold weather.

Man your only about 8 hours away from Mountian Home Ar and the Norfork and White River tailwaters and then just another short drive to Mountian View Ar and the the Little Red River they all offer some great fishing opportunities and some beautiful scenery and you probably won't break the bank getting there and back. Check out the Blue Ribbon Fly Shop at Mountian Home for fishing reports, a guide if you like and just a real cool shop, they made me feel right at home. The weather should be realitively better than heading west and I know there's a lot of people that fish those rivers year round