Fly Tying
Chase Creek

Dubbing storage

I use clear plastic coin tubes with screw-on caps available at coin shows and shops. I think these are the Half Dollar size.They're pretty cheap, so they attracted my attention right away. I just fill them with my most frequently used dubbing, label them, and they sit on a shelf at my tying bench.

Another use is as a dispenser for lead wire, tinsel, or whatever. Those materials tend to loosen on the spool and are soon all over the place. Just make a hole with a hot needle. Make sure you remove any burrs from the edge of the hole, then thread your material thru (the hardest part) and pull out and cut what you need. Beats searching for the end of the stuff on the spool.

post-4211-0-08623600-1352232305_thumb.jpg

GREAT idea C.C. I would like to find some of the old film bottles (35mm)to use for my ribbing and such...same principle, hole thru the lid and feed tinsel thru...

Murray

"I would like to find some of the old film bottles (35mm)to use for my ribbing and such"

Pretty hard to find anymore! And they would probably cost an arm and a leg!(collector's item) :lol:

When my daughter was working in the Photo Lab Dept., at our local Walmart she brought me 100's of these 35mm plastic film canisters. They are very useful for storage and dubbing containers.

Mike

I use a couple of Plano 6-compartment plastic boxes that are about 3"x5" by 1" deep that I got from Wal-Mart for less than $1.50 each. Each compartment holds a package of dubbing very nicely. I drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom of each compartment and I have a dubbing dispenser that is as good as any on the market.

i too like the plano style compartment boxes for storing my dubbing. just drill a 1/4 inch hole in each compartment and fill it up with dubbing. the boxes are even stackabel and take up hardly any room

fly tyers dungeon carries slim line dubbing boxes.

http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/Materials/dubbing.htm

Plastic pill dispensers also work well and only cost about a dollar. Like Flytire said, just drill a small hole in the back. The only thing is the compartments tend to be a bit small, but they are about the size of the full dubbing dispensers most companies sell.

I have about a dozen of these 6 X 5 compartement about 1 1/4" deep plastic boxes with tight sealing lids I picked up at a Dollar Store a few years ago that I use. I drill a hole in the lid over each compartment and label the color name (I like to blend my own). All 12 cost me $12 and I use most of them for hook storage with a small craft magnet in each compartment to organize my hooks.