Fly Tying
Li'lDave

Dry and Dropper Swap

All....

A few mates and I are looking at a trip for some Southern Hemisphere Browns and Rainbows towards the end of November / beginning of December 2013. We have narrowed our plans down to Tasmania, New England Tablelands (Northern New South Wales) and New Zealand.

I'm particularly keen to fish streams and rivers, and one of the more effective ways I find to cover water is to fish with a dry-dropper rig. With the regs we have here (and in NZ too I think), most waters will only allow a double rig so I'll restrict it to that.

All of the standard rules will apply, and we might wait until January for a due date.

I'm only looking for 5 tiers, plus myself, so we'll each tie 5 dries and 5 wets that can be fished in tandem. You won't get any of your own back. These flies will be fished, just maybe not until this time next year .

Sound like a plan?

Li'lDave (SM) - #10 Palmered pink tag & bead-headed Pheasant Tail Nymph -- COMPLETE

1.riffleriversteelheadslayer - #14 rust drake parachute & #18 annie's midge -- RECEIVED

2.Piker20 - CDC/Elk variant, Leveret Variation -- RECEIVED

3.Sjo - #10 Klinkhamer & #14 Copper John -- On schedule I think

4.fishingbobnelson - Nelson's Caddis dry & Bubble Boy -- RECEIVED

5.Professori - Tom Thumb & Tung dart dropper -- IN THE MAIL

Lets give the swap plenty of time to allow for christmas and the fact we have swappers from Aussie land, the motherland (UK), Canada, Holland, and the US.... So Due date for the flies to be in my hot little hands is:

25 January 2012

PS, flies will be fished on #2 - #6 rods depending on conditions.

PPS... As details come to light I think I might see about hosting a few more along these lines throughout 2012.

Oh heck I'm not missing this one. I'm in. Most likely a detached body dry that I tie which has proved deadly on Scottish Browns in at least 4 very different waters. Not sure what the fish believe it to be but they eat it and thats all I care about.

Paul, I sent you two in your extra box so hopefully you'll have the chance to test them on some Stateside trout.

With a due date in january I can do this. When you accept me I will ty a klinkhåmmer dry with a copper john dropper. Klinkhåmmer size 10 and a Copper John style fly size 14.

Sjo

Edited by Sjo

Wow!

I woke up this morning and we're full!

Thanks for joining guys!!

Lets make it a no pressure swap and set the due date 25 January 2013.

I'll update the first post.

FishingBob... Sorry for confusion... We just won't get any of ours back, we'll each get a nice little set of 5 dry-droppers...

My nymph will be a variable of the leveret and dry is going to have to be a CDC/Elk variant cause I can't lay my hands on the right hooks to tie my other dry.

The Tung Darts are done and my dry will bea Tom Thumb, a British Columbia standard that has taken thousands of rainbows and browns since its introduction in the 1930s. It isn't well known pas the BC borders, so hopefully your introduction to it will be fruitful.