Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
joman

hook size?

i found a box of hooks earlier this year but it had no information on the box. i tie my BH hares ear nymph on it and was wondering if anyone had an idea as to approximetly what size the hook would be. due to the fact i will be ordering hooks online i am unable to compqre them. i dont need the exact one just something similar because they seem to work failry well on y local specks. thanks for any help you can provide,

JOMAN

That's a really hard one. With no details of the hook no one could possibly say. Even then it is difficult. A photo of one would help along with some measurements.

Here is a rough guide to hook sizes to bead sizes. Its not set in stone but it is a good guide.

Another problem is that hook sizes are not standard. They vary between manufacturers, and between hook ranges from the same manufacturer. If someone could come up with a way to size hooks that really meant something that would be half the battle. Getting the manufacturers to use it and stick to it would be the harder part.

Cheers,

C.

wow- um, that is an odd looking hook, different than any I've seen to date. It looks realllllly small too with the shank being no longer then the hook bend and point.

I am not basing this off of anything but as a guess, i would say a 24-30? the proportions have me scratching my head.

yeah i havent seen anything similar either. i just found them out in our shed and they happened to work really good for bh hares ear nymphs so ive been using them. i just wanted something as a general size so i can get something similar because between snags and dropping them in the river i hve two left and want something similar to tie up for the spring.

ok thank you for the information everyone...as well as the quick responses. putting in my order now. thanksa again,

JOMAN