Fly Tying
billyzj

bass fly rods

looking for good but not to expensive fly rod and reel for bass and panfish,ive had one that broke and it was a cheap one,now that i gotta replce it want something that i can throw and reel in the bass with less problems.not sure the best weight rod/reel for fishing small poppers and big ones,just looking for some input from the guys that been doing it longer,thanks

That is hard to do without knowing what you budget is. Lot of nice rods out for sure. Scott A3/4, Echo, Ross, TFO and Sage bass series are really good mid level rod and all you need. Try them out if you can to decide as everyone is different for what they like. I myself will take a Scott without thinking but the other I mentioned are reaally good to. Leave it up to you tho.

Along the same topic I just received a sage bass 2 smallmouth edition with a lamson guru 3.5. The smallmouth is a 290 grain rod which translates into a 10 weight rod, but the lamson reel that is on it recommended line is 8-9. Lamson makes a guru 4 for 10-11 line. Should I, before using it, take it back and have it switched or it's no big deal and use it and be happy? Just thought I'd ask the experts

Eb, if that reel feels OK to you on that rod, meaning it balances well, and you don't need additional backing capacity for any of the fishing you do, then going with it as is should not be a problem.

I have a 10 wt TFO rod with an 11/12 size reel on it, because I got it at a good price & wanted some additional backing capacity. It's a bit heavy (Okuma Integrity reel) but has a good feel to it. I've used an 8/9 size reel on the same rod & it fits the rod well too, it just has a little less weight & capacity. IMO, the rating a manufacturer gives a reel is not always the best indication of how well it fits a specific rod & intended application. For me, if it feels right, I don't care what the maker calls it.

I use that rod primarily for Striped Bass & either reel will work, just one gives me a bit more backing in case I need it.

Thanks tidewater much appreciated. I will typically use it for a little bass pond fishing, but was concerned about a trip planned to Canada to throw at pike. Super excited to go can't do enough research on what to tie what to take etc.

As far as 'brand names' go, I am of no help as all of my graphite bass rods are either Fenwick or Diamondback, neither of whom are still in business. With respect to line weight ratings, I fish everything from 5 through 9 weight rods; with the 5 and 9 weights dominating. My choice is a 'last minute' decision and is based solely on the prevailing winds and the size and type flies I plan to use. This means that I typically Ieave home with both rods, and reels loaded with the appropriate lines.

The heavier rods and lines are not needed so much for 'managing' the fish as they are to enable one to cast the heavier, bulkier, more wind resistant flies that bass fishers often use. It is decidedly easier to cast a # 2 /0 deer hair bug with a 9 wt line than a 5wt, even on a calm day. However, it is just as easy to land that 5-6lb LMB on a 5 wt as it is on the 9. It is all in knowing how to play the fish.

Almost to a man, my coastal bay fly fishing friends, when asked, will tell you that one needs "only" two rods in their arsenal; a 5 wt for freshwater and an 8wt for the 'salt', as they will handle anything in our Texas freshwaters and our coastal bays.

I hope you have a great trip!

Cheers!

As far as 'brand names' go, I am of no help as all of my graphite bass rods are either Fenwick or Diamondback, neither of whom are still in business. With respect to line weight ratings, I fish everything from 5 through 9 weight rods; with the 5 and 9 weights dominating. My choice is a 'last minute' decision and is based solely on the prevailing winds and the size and type flies I plan to use. This means that I typically Ieave home with both rods, and reels loaded with the appropriate lines.

The heavier rods and lines are not needed so much for 'managing' the fish as they are to enable one to cast the heavier, bulkier, more wind resistant flies that bass fishers often use. It is decidedly easier to cast a # 2/0 deer hair bug with a 9 wt line than a 5wt, even on a calm day. However, it is just as easy to land that 5-6lb LMB on a 5 wt as it is on the 9. It is all in knowing how to play the fish.

Almost to a man, my coastal bay fly fishing friends, when asked, will tell you that one needs "only" two rods in their arsenal; a 5 wt for freshwater and an 8wt for the 'salt', as they will handle anything in our Texas freshwaters and our coastal bays.

Cheers!

The heavier rods and lines are not needed so much for 'managing' the fish as they are to enable one to cast the heavier, bulkier, more wind resistant flies that bass fishers often use. It is decidedly easier to cast a # 2/0 deer hair bug with a 9 wt line than a 5wt, even on a calm day. However, it is just as easy to land that 5-6lb LMB on a 5 wt as it is on the 9. It is all in knowing how to play the fish.

Cheers!

thanks thats just about what i needed too know,i figured on buying two diff weight rods,i was looking too spend about a hudred on a rod/ reel,i just wanted more info on good rod /reels too get,now the ive got the weight just gotta figure out my rod

That is hard to do without knowing what you budget is. Lot of nice rods out for sure. Scott A3/4, Echo, Ross, TFO and Sage bass series are really good mid level rod and all you need. Try them out if you can to decide as everyone is different for what they like. I myself will take a Scott without thinking but the other I mentioned are reaally good to. Leave it up to you tho.

thanks ill check into sage,im sure everybodys likes are diff,but i wanted to kind of get this right once instead of buying rods that are worthless

I use 7/8 wt for bass. but often tend to catch more bass on my 5 wt while fishing for gills. 10 wt seems heavy for bass but would make fishing for musky an option with the same rod. really is going to be a very personal choice for you given your type of fishing, size of flies, how many other rods you have, and of course the size of your wallet or allowance if married. there is alot of info out there happy hunting and good luck in the spring..

Gary

I have had the same experience as GLoy, in that I tend to catch more bass on my 5 wt with very small ( #12 popping bgs) when fishing for 'bream'. Likewise, I have caught bluegills on a #1 deer hair bug.

With respect to a good reel, IMHO, you cannot go wrong with a Pflueger Medalist; they are reasonably priced ( you can buy a good line with the savings over some of the widely touted brands), they hold adequate backing (which you really don't need for bass & bream), they have a good drag (again, not really necessary for bass fishing), are easily changed from right to left hand wind AND, "they take a lickin' and keep on clickin' "! (They are the Timex of reels!) They have been around since the bweginning of time, and in the '50's, as I recall the period, they were THE Orvis reel!

I have other brands, including Orvis made by Hardy in England, and find my Pfluegers to be just as functional.

With respect to lines, I have used, and continue to do so, both SA and Courtland 333 BassTaper WF lines.

How about letting us know what you decide to get?

Cheers!

I have been useing a Hobbs creek rod and reel from bass pro for the last 4 years are have had no problems. Just need to use 8wt line on the 7wt. It works okay with the 7wt line but the 8 wt line makes in cast a little better.

I have had the same experience as GLoy, in that I tend to catch more bass on my 5 wt with very small ( #12 popping bgs) when fishing for 'bream'. Likewise, I have caught bluegills on a #1 deer hair bug.

With respect to a good reel, IMHO, you cannot go wrong with a Pflueger Medalist; they are reasonably priced ( you can buy a good line with the savings over some of the widely touted brands), they hold adequate backing (which you really don't need for bass & bream), they have a good drag (again, not really necessary for bass fishing), are easily changed from right to left hand wind AND, "they take a lickin' and keep on clickin' "! (They are the Timex of reels!) They have been around since the bweginning of time, and in the '50's, as I recall the period, they were THE Orvis reel!

I have other brands, including Orvis made by Hardy in England, and find my Pfluegers to be just as functional.

With respect to lines, I have used, and continue to do so, both SA and Courtland 333 BassTaper WF lines.

How about letting us know what you decide to get?

Cheers!

ill def let you guys know,ive actuallly been looking at the pfluger for awhile,just wasnt to sure about the fly rod combo think it was about 80$,all i fish with for the last 8 years is the president.and all star rod or ugly stick and woudnt ever give em up for anything else, thanks for all the responses,yall helped out quit a bit

Plueger are nice but not the newer ones from chinese are crap tho.

You should be able to find the older one and they are more than good enough to do the job. You dont need a large reel and much if any backing to catch pike or muskie. I used to use Lamson LS4 but now using 3.5's on my large stuff along with BPS Gold Cup reel( built like tank!) and Tioga 10 LA.

Whatever you can get a great deal on and not pay the full price.

Many times it pays to overline the rod to help propel bigger flies.

Phish...

When you say : "...newer one's from China...", what Chinese vintage(s) are you referring to? I have a few among my US made ones, and I cannot tell any difference between them. Admittedly, my Chinese versions are "early Chinese" vintage; not "recent". My "oldest" US made ones date back to the late 1960's.

Just curious.

Cheers!