Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

My latest addiction

Mist is rainfall to a miniature tree.

Leaves use up a lot of water.

New growth requires food, too.

Make sure you're properly fertilizing and "raining" on this tree as it produces new shoots.

Beautiful Bonsai, Steve.

Thanks Mike. You will like my next project I'm sure. I've been swamped with rod work lately but soon as I get some of this work out of the way I plan to start work on a "forest". I'm going to do about a 7-9 tree forest on a hand made base I plan to make myself done in the same style as I do my aquarium backgrounds with the carved rock look/drylok. It will actually be basically about a 30" hand made "slab" style forest with some levels elevated on small hills. Should be pretty neat if it comes out how I envision it in my head.

If you guys are in to bonsai, check out John Yoshio Naka,look him up on line.This is the real deal.`

Steel drifter:

Very nice. I have three, one being a ficus that is next to impossible to do anything with. The other one is my guest tree. If we have people over, that are good friends, I set it in the middle of the table and hand them my little nippers and tell them to make a cut. Usually there is a lot of wine involved and I tell them they need to study the plant and there cut needs to come from there "heart".

I got to preface this that most of my friends are from the 60's and 70's era as teens. It's very relaxing.

Cool. I know next to nothing about the Okinawan arts. Just curious. I study Hap-Ki-Do under one of the original GM's who came to the U.S. in the early '70's.

If you see some of this type of moss along the river ... grab some. You can plant it on the soil of your Bonsai and it will grow ... it's almost perfectly proportioned to the Bonsai tree to look like grass.

If you've got a good Bonsai book, it should have a section on this topic.

attachicon.gifP8227964.jpg

If you see some of this type of moss along the river ... grab some. You can plant it on the soil of your Bonsai and it will grow ... it's almost perfectly proportioned to the Bonsai tree to look like grass.

If you've got a good Bonsai book, it should have a section on this topic.

Way ahead of ya, already planning on getting some and bringing it home in a baggie next time I am up north ;)

Winter downpour

Even the monkey

Needs a raincoat

Just wait until you discover Haikus! LOL

Enjoy bonsai! It's not easy, but it's rewarding.

Decided to pick up a new Juniper scrub while at the nursery over the weekend and took a couple hours break from working on the office build to turn the new shrub into a bonsai. It was extremely root bound even in the large pot they had it in so took a lot of combing and trimming of the roots to get it down to bonsai pot size. Then went to work pruning and wiring it. Decided to make this one more of a formal upright style.

BEFORE

newbonsai1.jpg

AFTER
(still have some needles on the trunk to remove but I will wait a few months till it has had a chance to recover from this before doing anymore work on it)
newbonsai2.jpg

Have any of you got the roots trained to grow around rocks? This is where things get bad for me and death to the plant occurs.

Ted

Ted I have not tried it yet, but that is actually going to be one of my next Bonsai is to find one that will be a good candidate for a root wrapped rock bonsai. I recently bought Paul Lesniewicz's Bonsai book which has a chapter all about how to do root over rock bonsai using strips of plastic bags to secure it for a few months, so I plan to give that a try soon.

More disturbing Steve what you're doing to the huge tomato in the background that needed whiting out!!