Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
switch10

Pyramid lake 2/24/2012

Some friends and I went up to Pyramid last weekend. The four of us landed about 40 or so fish in 2 days.

These cutthroats are massive. The smallest fish we landed was probably just under 20 inches, and the largest was just under 30 inches!!

I tied up about 20 assorted midges in sizes #10 and #8 before our trip. I also tied up a few leach, and beetle patterns in case they weren't hitting midges. From what I've seen, the vast majority of the people who fish this lake are stripping beetles, leeches, and woolly worms.

The water is very cold, hence the use of step ladders to keep you as far out of the water as possible. The added distance from being up out of the water is definitely a plus too.

I have some gopro footage that I need to go through, but here are a few pictures for now....

129.JPG

101.JPG

Nice cuttie! Sounds like you guys did pretty good, averaging 5/day/rod! It's been kinda slow, waiting for the warm weather. How did the midges workout for you?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bigdewy" data-cid="540374" data-time="1361924202"><p>

Nice cuttie! Sounds like you guys did pretty good, averaging 5/day/rod! It's been kinda slow, waiting for the warm weather. How did the midges workout for you?</p></blockquote>

The midges worked great! Black with red rib and a white bead head seemed to be key. I caught one on a red glass midge as well...

I actually only ended up stripping for about 2 hours total. Midging was hot!

I was up thee on Sunday and the bite was a little slow by Pelican. I landed one about 26 and my buddy landed one about 28. Lots of people out.

When somebody says "midge" I think size-18 or smaller. You tied them in 8s & 10s? Can you post up a fly pic?

Great pics. The stepladder technique is something I would have never imagined in my wildest dreams. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure who came up with the idea for the step ladders. One thing is for sure, it would be tough fishing without one. Do a google search for "pyramid lake" and you will see a line of 20 or so ladders in the water. It's extremely common up there...

The largest fish I caught was around 26 inches. My buddy landed a 29 incher on the last day.

Yes zOnk, size 8's and 10's... I was pretty skeptical as well, but that's what they eat up there I guess... Here's what was working best, Ice Cream Cone midges tied on a TMC 2499spbl (quite possibly my favorite hook).

IMG_0035.JPG

One more fish pic...

IMG_9194.jpg

What is the bottom ... sand? Rock? If I tried using a ladder where I fish, it would sink down until I couldn't find it anymore. Or it would tip over before I got to the upper rungs.

What is the bottom ... sand? Rock? If I tried using a ladder where I fish, it would sink down until I couldn't find it anymore. Or it would tip over before I got to the upper rungs.

The bottom is mostly sand, some rock. I thought the same thing, but the ladder only sinks in a few inches at most...

Ahh thats in my neck of the woods! another cool thing about this lake is you dont need a nevada fishing license because its on a reservation, you just pay a daily permit fee..

and big midges are money ive had friends do real good on a sz. 8 mahalo midge in red this year!

Ahh thats in my neck of the woods! another cool thing about this lake is you dont need a nevada fishing license because its on a reservation, you just pay a daily permit fee..

and big midges are money ive had friends do real good on a sz. 8 mahalo midge in red this year!

Yeah, I plan on tying up some of those mahalo midges and nymphs for my trip up there next month. I heard they are killer!

I finally got around to editing some gopro footage from this trip! Check it out!