Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BLACKKNIGHT1361

Super Natural Hoppers

Well I think I have perfected the hopper, I recently purchased the Tomsu hopper cutter from River Road Creations and now have great looking hoppers that go together so easy that you can turn out a large qty of hoppers in short order. I have also found a way to color them and make them look real. The best part is the trout suck them right down and don't refuse them I have attached photos so you can see them enjoy.

CEPX9075.jpg

CEPX9066.jpg

CEPX9070.jpg

buy the cutters buy the realistic legs get some foam push the cutters through the foam then assemble the pieces per the directions given in the kit color with markers done

cutter kit http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OF-901710-0000/82500/River-Road-Creations-Supreme-Hopper-Matched-Cutter-Set.html

hopper legs http://www.wapsifly.com/tnt.html

I would like to do an article for one of the tying magazines and have it in print I have such a problem getting things to post on site that I just get frustrated and give up. So I'm hoping that that I can get one of the magazines to put it in print. The cutters make this so easy to tie that a lot of patience is not needed to complete a fly you will spend 10 to 15 minutes a fly after you get the pattern down and the method I use to color then takes seconds to complete.

Well I think I have perfected the hopper, I recently purchased the Tomsu hopper cutter from River Road Creations and now have great looking hoppers that go together so easy that you can turn out a large qty of hoppers in short order. I have also found a way to color them and make them look real. The best part is the trout suck them right down and don't refuse them I have attached photos so you can see them enjoy.

Kind of odd, claiming to have perfected the hopper, when you are using someone else's hopper cutter to make the hopper. Didn't THEY perfect the hopper?

I don't know what happened on the previous post.

Exactly what did you perfect?

I have to agree with the post above. all you did was to assemble cut up foam piece from the river road creations cutters. Seems to me they perfected that style of foam hopper.

Using markers, paint and pens to color foam is nothing new to fly tying.

Perfection (The ancient Greeks viewed perfection as a requisite for beauty and high art. The Pythagoreans held that perfection was to be found in the right proportions and in a harmonious arrangement of parts. The idea that beauty and art were characterized by perfection, was subsequently embraced by Plato, who believed that art ought to be "apt, suitable, without deviations" — in short, "perfect.) This is one of the big reasons I don't post on most forums as it never fails that someone has something negative to say. I have been tying for 40 years and have tried to pass my knowledge on to others. To your comments that using markers is nothing new your right but the technique( is a procedure used to accomplish a specific activity or task using a systematic method to obtain the desired result) the technique I use to color can be used on many different flies in many ways and so far to date I have seen no one anywhere that has used this method. Have a good day gentleman

blackknight,

i also have the cutters (just got them) but my hoppers look nothing like yours. good looking hoppers.

craig

rough crowd... glad I don't use words like "always", "never", or "perfect" when it comes to fly tying or fishing.

Wonder if Plato was a fisherman?

I don't know Joel but I know the only perfect hopper is one that catches fish and frankly I don't need to spend $50 on a set of cutters to tie one of them and as for coloring being a tattoo artist I bet I could color a grasshopper to look real with just a few minutes to try