Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Built a fly box

I picked up a box at Joann Fabric and turned it into a new box to house the majority of my carp flies. I thought it turned out pretty well. It will hold 129 flies, as constructed. Each green mark on the raised white foam is slit to accept a fly.

IMGP4287_zps1efefb5f.jpg

IMGP4291_zps3f217184.jpg

IMGP4292_zps513afa2f.jpg

IMGP4293_zpse26910cd.jpg

Nice box Jeff, I like the way you used the paper label that came off the cover as a template to cut out your green foam! That's thinking.

Kirk

Nice box Jeff, I like the way you used the paper label that came off the cover as a template to cut out your green foam! That's thinking.

Kirk

It's actually a massive pre-cut magnet! This box was originally $20, marked down to $10 and I had a 50% off coupon so I got it for $5. The magnet pieces (3 per box) were good templates, and I have plans to use the magnet sheets for other little projects. One chunk will be to keep hooks in one place on my tying desk, and I plan to use cut pieces of it in the shallow lid portions of the little Altoids fly boxes I make for "emergency boxes."

looks great cream I am curious as to the overall dimensions on the box as it looks like it might be big enough for my articulated musky and pike flies

9-1/4x10x2-3/4

here is an already made cheaper alternative too.

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/guide-fly-case/

That's $22. I built this box for about $6-7.

I get it... I have done similar. I just wanted to post an alternative for guys who might not have the time, and can still get a great deal on a box that would normally be in the $50 range.

I did this same thing with a bunch of clear tackle tote containers I had of different sizes, although I never thought of adding in the secondary layer of foam like the original poster did where the flies hook into. I'll have to redo that part of them. I also painted mine black with Duplicolor automotive trim paint. Two coats and these clear plastic organizers look pretty good and the paint doesn't chip, either. Didn't even have to sand or primer the containers, either.

my friend built me a pike/bass box out of a pistol case.

he put foam in the top & bottom slit it length wise then put a piece on the outside of the lid to put wet flies in while they dry.