Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hoyt archery

Pike fly weed guard advice sought

I have a friend heading north for some Pike fishing. I am looking to tie up some flys for his trip. I don't / haven't fished for Pike, I live in Kansas. Anyway, he's dead certain these flys Have to have a weed guard. I would rather see some lost flies instead of missed fish. But I intend to add his weed guards.

So my question is what size mono should be used for the weed guards? Hook sizes should range from 2/0 - 6/0 Gama hooks.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I agree with your concern. IMO pike love lillie pads and sitting along side hard obstacles like stumps, rocks. pillings etc. But they are just as likely to hit from undercut banks or just be sitting at the thermocline and looking up for a passing snack. If he really wants a guard I would say a 20lb mono suits those hooks if you are just leaving it loose, you might get away with a slightly smaller one if you are tying it down at the bend and having a loop from eye to bend.

Where is your friend heading? Just out of curiosity. And what are you planning on making him?

Pike are my favorite fish on the fly. They are big, beautiful, and absolutly destroy flies. Normaly when i fish for them, i hardly ever use a weed guard. I feel that it just gets in the way; but if im fishing in thick weeds or lillies, then i always use 40Ib frog hair. It might be alittle stiff, but its been productive for me. I also prefer to use a single loop instead of doubles. its less work and when done properly, is just as efficient as the doubles.

Hope he does well.

My plan was to tie my version of "Double Down Muskie ", I've seen posted on here. I plan to use a weed guard that flows from the hook bend up to the eye. I've been tying this style of fly, but on a much smaller scale, to use for bass. Size 2 on Gama circle hooks for my Lady to use with drop shots. So I have the style down, now I just need to super size it.

I'm not exactly sure where he's headed. Other than Canada, and a float plane is involved.

I like the wire idea as well. If he finds an area that does not require the guard the wire can just be bent up out of the way but bent back into position for the next time it is needed.