Fly Tying
Christopher K

June 2013 flies from the vice

Here's a neat little Czech-style nymph; it's one of Kevin Compton's patterns (Kevin owns http://www.performanceflies.com/). The fly is called a "Ginger Snap" due to the giner-colored peacock quill used for the body. The rest of the materials are listed in the video, as is the tying procedure; enjoy!

TC

Nice fly, although that's a butt, not a tag wink.png

Thanks; I appreciate it! In terms of "butt" versus "tag," I was comparing it to a salmon fly. Here's a quick reference:

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/anatomies/salmonfly_anat.htm

Either way, what is the difference?

Thanks again!

TC

hope to get out on the weekend and drift this under some overhanging tree,s and see what happens

What are those materials you used on that fly?

tag goes beyond the tail, butt goes in front. If you look on a fly like a green highlander you can see that the tag is behind the whole thing, butt is ostrich herl in front.

green_highlander_800.jpg

If you look on that diagram you posted look where the butt is vs the tag in relation to the tail

• some of you men really go beyond when tying these flies. Truely Kimo, I think a machine tied a few of your flies, LOL!!! I mean no disrespect....I meant it is that good! I can only hope to achieve in my lifetime, half the skills you people here have achieved already. I have tied some pretty good files for myself, but they catch nothing, or so it seems. When i fail at some pattern attempts, they tend to catch fish the best!!! I don't get it. I have thought of putting a dab of Anise oil on my fingers while tying, just to eliminate my scent, perhaps Wash with some ZOTE soap before beginning. Maybe that will help....
  • My son said, fish don't like the way I smell. lol. I read an article on Zote soap and Anise, and realized, there may be something to it. I take a few medications that probably come out of pores and get all over my patterns and I don't even know it.
  • ANY THOUGHTS or am I just sincerely CRAZY?
  • Perhaps tomorrow, I will post some of my recent flops, I am sure some of you will get a kick out of them. smile.png

Thanks scottyh47,

I personally stand in awe of guys like Craven, Garcia, Takahashi and the late Shane Stalcup.

If you really want to see a machine you ought to see Charlie tie in person! Extreme efficiency in movement, no wasted wraps and speed.

Have you seen some of Fred Hannie's stuff? The boys got skills!

Thanks again,

Kimo

Haven't been posting much lately, too busy fishing!

Windy and rain in the clouds today, so: a good cup of coffee, Pjusk on the speakers and some rows of these:

post-35895-0-62978900-1371374428_thumb.jpg

crabby that would be very like a down and dirty damsel variant. Original tied by Charles Jardine with slim body and heavy bead chain eyes. Many now have the rubber legs.

Windy and rain in the clouds today, so: a good cup of coffee, Pjusk on the speakers and some rows of these:

I'm Really liking those!

crabby that would be very like a down and dirty damsel variant. Original tied by Charles Jardine with slim body and heavy bead chain eyes. Many now have the rubber legs.

hey piker20

thanx , hadn't seen that one before , so many flies out there its hard to think you had made something diferent lol..mine has been dubbed the astro nymph as someone said it looked like astro boy lol

hope its enough different to claim it , i think it is anyway rockon.gif

post-2404-0-62813000-1371460543.gif

A couple of thread bodied nymphs i tried over the weekend. Jacked up the head on the fat orange one, but lovin the look of the seal dubbing. Super buggy

post-21237-0-65514200-1371487863_thumb.jpgpost-21237-0-67067600-1371487932_thumb.jpg