Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly123

Green machine

Anyone use the green machine? Some peole tell me thier a great fly others tell me their no good. What are your opinions? do you like them or not?

they're

put 15 people in a room and ask them to tie a green machine and you'll get 15 different flies

which one are you talking about?

Here in the UK there is a lot of negative thoughts on dry flies for Atlantic salmon. Moving surface flies are a different matter and lots of salmon are taken on flies that leave a wake. I'm trying a green machine on Monday hopefully but I'll be tying it more evenly tapered front and back.

A "go-to" fly on the Mirimichi in NB, Canada. It's a wet fly, the hackle is not dry fly hackle, and it's trimmed close enough so it really won't float when using a heavy salmon hook. The one shown is a low-water style, typically used later in the season. High water version uses same size body on a shorter stouter hook.

Here in the UK there is a lot of negative thoughts on dry flies for Atlantic salmon. Moving surface flies are a different matter and lots of salmon are taken on flies that leave a wake. I'm trying a green machine on Monday hopefully but I'll be tying it more evenly tapered front and back.

According to what I have read it isn't a dry fly! Its supposed to be fished just wet like Ephemerella says. The ones I have are tied on size 6 Mustad R90s so they certainly will not float.

Cheers,

A.

Um. I always thought they were a version of a bomber. I will fish what I have and see if it sinks!! The small ones I tied were on light hooks and do skate along so I'll try following the link PJ posted.

I've caught more than my fair share of Salmon on that fly, and they guys I fished with back home have too. Its been a go-to favorite for years. We had some luck a couple years back with tying a tail of pearl krystal flash on them as well. Tying it up in black with black hackle is another good combo that's proved itself. I've got em with the red butt you pictured as well as adding an extra chartreuse butt right behind it. Can't go wrong with a few combo's of that winner in the ole flybox.

Not sure what area you're in but I know a fantastic shop on in NB to pick up hackles for this one and bomber's too, as well as some tips from one of the best old fly guys you'll ever meet. Lemme know if you need some info.

Cheers

I've caught more than my fair share of Salmon on that fly, and they guys I fished with back home have too. Its been a go-to favorite for years. We had some luck a couple years back with tying a tail of pearl krystal flash on them as well. Tying it up in black with black hackle is another good combo that's proved itself. I've got em with the red butt you pictured as well as adding an extra chartreuse butt right behind it. Can't go wrong with a few combo's of that winner in the ole flybox.

Not sure what area you're in but I know a fantastic shop on in NB to pick up hackles for this one and bomber's too, as well as some tips from one of the best old fly guys you'll ever meet. Lemme know if you need some info.

Cheers

What store?

I'll probably never get the opportunity to fish for Salmon, but Green Machines, Bombers, Wakers & most any of the spun deer hair Salmon flies work exceptionally well on river Smallmouths too!

Yes, I can say I like them!

100_4276-Copy.jpg

100_4274-Copy-Copy.jpg

100_4255.jpg

What's the smallest size you all tie them in? Which hook pattern have you found suits the dressing best.

I'll tie that type of fly as small as a size 8, but the ones in the pictures are all 2, 4 & 6. The hooks are standard, streamer or nymph fly hooks, some 2X or 3X long. The heavier hook is stronger than a regular dry fly style & they're less pricey than Salmon fly hooks. But I have tied them on dry fly & Salmon fly hooks too.

When I tied commercially I kept a few boxes of these primarily for Smallmouth bass anglers, but had a few customers who bought them for Salmon & Steelhead, despite not always being tied on "Salmon fly" hooks. As long as the hook was sharp & sufficiently strong those guys didn't get too concerned about tradition.

Some in the pictures may also be hold-overs from my commercial days, and some may have been tied by a fellow commercial tyer in Nova Scotia, who supplied me with such flies. He & I tied flies so much alike, it's difficult to tell. Darn this getting old, I can't recall that fellow's name! sad.png