Fly Tying
GdubyaSmith

Fly Fishing Magazines

I've picked up a few copies over the years but never subscribed. If they are anything like Hunting Magazines I wont bother to either! In your opinion are they a barrage of Ad's with little useful information or are they a fairly good mix of both. I like to see what's new but a Magazine filled with Ad's, instead of Articles or great Pictures of Destinations and Fish, I have no use for. I'm hesitant to subscribe if I'm going to be bludgeoned by Ad's. I understand the need for Advertising to help keep the Magazine above water...but if their on every page or two are they worth it???

every magazine is going to contain advertisements. its how they pay the bills

having read fly fishing and fly tying magazines since 1981, i no longer subscribe to any magazines. to me they are just a rehash of the same old article year after year. i just thumb through the at the magazine stand in the local big box book store and just buy the issue that i want of something i want to keep. saves me money that way year after year. every now and then something new comes around but not very often.

i'd rather download the free online digital magazines. they seem to be a little more innovative than the been in the job too long editors put out

I didn't think Fly Fishing and Fly Tying had been around since 1981! I remember buying the first one in about 1990/1991. It was an off shoot of Salmon, Trout and Sea Trout, which has now gone the way of all flesh.

Cheers,

C.

please reread my post.

i did not specifically name a single magazine in my response.

in the USA we have fly tying magazines and we have fly fishing magazines, thus fly fishing and fly tying magazines

but i think you knew that

FlyFishing & FlyTying magazine is in the magazine rack at the local big box book store but at close to $10 per issue it stays there.

I re-subscribed to fly fisherman magazine after about a 10 year break. I can't say I'm a fan. There are way more ad's than good articles these days. I don't think I'll be renewing my subscription.

In my opinion, The Drake has very well written articles, much better than everything else. I don't subscribe though because it's cheaper to just pick them up at my local fly shop. If you enjoy reading about fishing adventures over how-to's and tips, I strongly recommend The Drake.

Sorry miss read it. New glasses coming soon!

Wouldn't blame you at half that price.

Cheers,

C.

It sounds like they are similar to Hunting magazines then...everybody pimping their particular brand as the best, most accurate, most forgiving, etc., ad nausea <--------<<<

I do like the stories of years long rivalries between "The One" and the "Hunter/Fisherman"..that kind of stuff. Like many my reading is now done on the Internet and Watching YouTube videos of Fly Tying with Davie McPhail and others.

Thanks for the replies...you've probably saved me enough money to buy a few good capes biggrin.png

Fly Tying magazine has been around at least since the late 70s. I subscribed then and got the issues via APO while assigned abroad.

Couple of things about it always bugged me. The pictures on the rear cover page often were very amateurish, if not downright ugly. Colors of materials often did not match the description in the recipe. The emphasis was on new patterns rather than doing tried and true standards the right way so craftsmanship got deemphasized in favor of novelty and cutting edge synthetics -- many of which ultimately failed in the market place.

I won't even pick up the glitzy picture mags in the Doctor's office.

Rocco

gw

i dont see anything wrong with manufacturers advertising their products in magazines. its one of their ways in getting us to buy their products. i'm sure if you were a manufacturer you would be doing the same thing to promote your product.

maybe instead of reading magazines you could read books on the subjects that you like. no advertising in books

gw

i dont see anything wrong with manufacturers advertising their products in magazines. its one of their ways in getting us to buy their products. i'm sure if you were a manufacturer you would be doing the same thing to promote your product.

maybe instead of reading magazines you could read books on the subjects that you like. no advertising in books

I understand it's a business...Like I said I like to see what's new myself but a Magazine with 3-4 small sized articles and the rest of it Ad's...not for me. I have a collection of Books here that I've read...most of them are American History/Revolution, Outdoor Lifestyle, and Cookbooks. The first book I see looking around here is by Thomas Fleming - Washington's Secret War

It seems like the same magazines regurgitate the same articles year after year only with different photos. The only magazine I find refreshing is The Drake. If you have never read it I encourage you to pick up a copy its that good. Its the only magazine I never throw out.

Personally, I like the ads, without them your magazine price would be much higher or out of business.

We have a good one here in Canada, it's called Fly Fusion,very low on ad's and very good stories.

every issue has a story or two about where Trout Unlimited is working on a stream or about one that they have just finished.

I think the net has taken over from the printed monthly mag. Most of what finds its way into the magazine was on the net for a while before hand. Since really getting to grips with forums like these I have only brought a mag if stuck on a train or bus journey and forgotten my Kindle. (other ebook readers are available.)